Thread: Harrison tank water connection

Harrison tank water connection

I'm currently making the radiator connections to the engine and have a question about the Harrison tank 3/4" line. My current plan is to install a fitting in the metal tube that is part of the lower radiator hose and attach the 3/4" line there. Doe's anyone know if this is right or wrong?
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Lightbulb One way to do it....

Rod - Here are three pictures showing how Brian and I installed our Harrison tank. Our radiator has the inlet and outlets reversed left to right. We did this for a couple of reasons: 1) it matches the way the originals did it, 2) it gave us more room to move the altenator from next to the fame rail to up on top where we have more room. If there are any questions after seeing the pictures, post them here an I'll make sure Brian gets back to you since he designed and built the engine fom the bare block up. The system has run flawlessly since day 1. No temp issues and it fills straight from the tank without any of the burping issues some have to go through.

Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CobraEngine1.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	2398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CobraEngine2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	2399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CobraEngine3.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	2400  

Thanks for the pictures Bill. Yours is plumbed very similar to how I have seen the rest done. The 3/4" hose that you have plumbed into the water pump is the one that I would like to connect to the lower radiator hose. I don't have that spot at the water pump available for connection because of how I hooked up my temperature sensors. also I don't like the idea of disconnecting that hose to change the fan belt. My concern has to do with whatever effect a connection at the lower hose has on the rest of the system and the expansion tank in particular.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Bill - In your first pic it looks like a braded hose goes into the top of ledge on the cannon oil pan. Where does it come from and what is it for?
    Bob

Braided tube?

Bob - The mystery tube is for the oil dip stick. It comes from the top of the oil pan and terminates just behind the altenator. We chose this model because it matched all of the rest of the braided stainless hose we had the EFI, transmission cooler, and remote oil systems lines. It comes longer than needed so you can trim it to your specific length. You then must calibrate the dip stick length itself. We also have a matching one for the tranny fluid. Just a small detail to keep the engine compartment looking neat and tidy.

Bill

Edit: Having just looked closer at the picture, I can see 2 braided lines, the smaller line curving off the the left is the oil dip stick line, and the larger one going straight up is the return line from the fuel rail to the regulator. We feed up to the fuel rails with a similar line on the other side into the drivers side rail, cross over on the back side of the engine to the passenger side rail, and down to the regulator on the fame rail with the line you see. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by Glenview289; September 29th, 2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: add corrected comment

You can look at my build here and get an idea of how mine is done. I coppied Bill's mounting bracket for the tank.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6951

Justin

I appreciate the help so far, but still no answer to my question. My diesel powered Ford van has a similar connection, to the one I questioned, for the surge tank to the lower radiator hose but I think the function of the two may be different. Any more thoughts out there????
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

I'm currently making the radiator connections to the engine and have a question about the Harrison tank 3/4" line. My current plan is to install a fitting in the metal tube that is part of the lower radiator hose and attach the 3/4" line there. Doe's anyone know if this is right or wrong?

If you are thinking of connecting the 3/4 line to the lower radiator hose, this is wrong. The harrison tank 3/4 line goes to the water pump inlet and the top tube on the tank to your overflow tank.

Justin

Justin, I know this is not how everyone has done it but I have reasons to not connect in the customary way. I am thinking that no matter how it is connected to the system the tank will function as intended as a filling port and expansion tank. If I go ahead with this way of connecting I will have the 3/4" line going to the lower radiator hose and the smaller 3/8" line (not the one at the filler neck) connecting at the top of the radiator. I guess that what my concern is is that I may get water bypassing the radiator through the Harrison tank.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

I went ahead and made the Harrison tank connection as I had planned not knowing exactly what would happen. Happy to report that everything works perfectly so far.
    The small line from the side of the Harrison tank connects to a fitting at the top of the radiator, the larger 3/4 line drops down to the lower radiator hose and connects there. There are 2 reasons i didn't make the connection at the water pump, the first one is that I would have had to remove the hose to change the fan belt. The second is that I used the water pump connection to install a custom made manifold for my temp gauge and fan thermostatic switch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4481.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	2539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4489.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	2540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4490.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	2541  
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Rod... very nice. Question.. on the two sending units and the adapter you made..... did you have to supply a ground the adapter? I know one of my sending units acts as a switch for ground... therefore the reason for my question.

Thx Mark
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
    Rod... very nice. Question.. on the two sending units and the adapter you made..... did you have to supply a ground the adapter? I know one of my sending units acts as a switch for ground... therefore the reason for my question.

Thx Mark
    The adapter is bolted to the engine so it gets its ground that way. The sending unit at the front switches to ground for the cooling fans, the rear one is for the mechanical temp gauge so no ground nessasary for that one.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.