Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood prop rod question

Hood prop rod question

My car is 17 years old. Has unique updated the prop rod since then? Mine is just a rod end that sticks in a little hole in the hood. There is no safety catch, pin, or anything to keep it secure, especially in the wind. The wind has blown this hood off this rod a couple of time and I am sick of sweating this at car shows that have a windy days. I have seen a few other brands of Cobras have different style rods on their cars that have locking features. What is Unique using these days and is it compatible with what I have now?
    Thanks...Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Not where I can get to my pictures but I did what others have done and put a stainless screw adjacent to the prop hole and used a 1 inch rubber o ring with a small o ring to synch it down on the rod and then hook it over the screw. Simple and it works.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Not where I can get to my pictures but I did what others have done and put a stainless screw adjacent to the prop hole and used a 1 inch rubber o ring with a small o ring to synch it down on the rod and then hook it over the screw. Simple and it works.
    Interesting, cant really picture it though! How do you get the o rings to hook into each other? I can't imagine how this would look. Does anybody have a pic?
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

hood prop

Here are a couple pics of my car, seems to work fine on a windy day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA070413.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	2403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA070411.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	2405  

That's it.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Oh, I see, picture is worth a thousand words!
    a few questions:

Is that a fancy kind of thumbscrew?
    Any special procedure or fastener for going into the fiberglass?
    Do you leave the O rings attached to the prop rod when not in use or is it something you just carry in the car for a windy day?
    Thanks...Dave
    Dave

I'm also interested in where the thumb screw came from. I'm having the same problem with the wind.

Home Depot, you can find it in the nut and bolt area and it comes with a push in retainer.

Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post
    Home Depot, you can find it in the nut and bolt area and it comes with a push in retainer.
    That is where I was, I scoured that aisle, nothing like that at all. I picked up some stainless theft proof license plate fasteners at Advance Auto, but I like yours much better, looks more finished!
    Are the threads on yours 1/4", or are they smaller? I know I asked this a couple of posts ago, but do you leave the O rings attached to the prop rod when not in use or is it something you just carry in the car for a windy day?
    Thanks...Dave
    Dave

I leave them attached, you may need to replace them over time because of engine heat. I think the screws are used with screen doors.

Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post
    I leave them attached, you may need to replace them over time because of engine heat. I think the screws are used with screen doors.
    Screen doors, I thought they looked kind of familiar! LOL
    You also mention a retainer, I am assuming so it does not pull out of the fiberglass? Similar to screwing into sheet rock, correct? If I find something decent but without a retainer could I put something on the threads to keep it in the fiberglass?
    The guy at Advance said a wood screw type thread should be good to hold in fiberglass.
    I found some real nice ones online but you had to buy bulk for crazy money. they were SS or aluminum choice, built in shoulder, knurled head...they also came with some nylon material as part of the threads to keep it locked in. They were 10-32 or 1/4 -20...would these type of threads be OK in fiberglass?
    Dave
    Dave

Talking Hood Latch

Same problem. Mine even blew down with the o-ring attached. Here's the fix that worked for me.
    I fabricated a clip out of thin stainless-steel. Mount with the same #10 stainless screw and hole, previously used for the o-ring. Make a spacer slightly thicker than the thickness of the clip, which allows the mounting screw to be tightened snuggly and free movement of the clip. I drilled out the I.D. of a piece of 1/4" tubing for the #10 screw, then cut to length (thickness). Note the notch on each side of the clip opening for clearance by the hood rod support flange.
    Hope this helps. Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hood latch 001.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	2411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hood latch 002.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	2412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hood latch 003.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	2413  

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Same problem. Mine even blew down with the o-ring attached. Here's the fix that worked for me.
    I fabricated a clip out of thin stainless-steel. Mount with the same #10 stainless screw and hole, previously used for the o-ring. Make a spacer slightly thicker than the thickness of the clip, which allows the mounting screw to be tightened snuggly and free movement of the clip. I drilled out the I.D. of a piece of 1/4" tubing for the #10 screw, then cut to length (thickness). Note the notch on each side of the clip opening for clearance by the hood rod support flange.
    Hope this helps. Gary
    Very interesting idea!!!
    How thick did you make the SS clip?
    Do you just leave this attached all the time? It would think with the spacer there you could not snug it up and will always be flopping around.
    So, what kind of # 10 fastener did you use? I am still going back and forth between a wood or sheet metal screw type thread or tapping the hole for a machine screw and using removable strength locktite???

Thanks...Dave
    Dave

The stainless material is about .075" thick. It's permanent and doesn't flop around. Make the spacer so that there is a little resistance when the screw is tight. I used a #10 stainless sheet metal screw.
    Gary

The stainless material is about .075" thick. It's permanent and doesn't flop around. Make the spacer so that there is a little resistance when the screw is tight. I used a #10 stainless sheet metal screw.
    Gary
    Great! Tell me this, this clip does move back and forth to lock and unlock the prop rod from the hood?...any marring of the paint?
    Dave

No marring to date. Add a flat washer between hood and clip if concerned.
    Gary

Gary, are you going to Panama City next month?

No Plans at this time. I'll let you know if I'm going.
    You missed a GREAT week at Cruisin-the-Coast this year. 4,854 registered cars and AWESOME weather. Several out of town Unique owners made it (Ronnie Tucker, Kent Berry, and Al Slide). Paul (Slither), Jim (Diegokid), and me are local.
    Gary

No marring to date. Add a flat washer between hood and clip if concerned.
    Gary
    Thanks
    Whatever I do to correct the falling hood problem I will post when complete. Another winter job!
    Dave

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    No Plans at this time. I'll let you know if I'm going.
    You missed a GREAT week at Cruisin-the-Coast this year. 4,854 registered cars and AWESOME weather. Several out of town Unique owners made it (Ronnie Tucker, Kent Berry, and Al Slide). Paul (Slither), Jim (Diegokid), and me are local.
    Gary
    I saw Charlie, the welder at Unique, down here with his Volks out in front of my place on Saturday early afternoon. Tried to flag him down, but I guess he had to go somewhere...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear