Thread: Hood prop rod question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hood prop rod question

My car is 17 years old. Has unique updated the prop rod since then? Mine is just a rod end that sticks in a little hole in the hood. There is no safety catch, pin, or anything to keep it secure, especially in the wind. The wind has blown this hood off this rod a couple of time and I am sick of sweating this at car shows that have a windy days. I have seen a few other brands of Cobras have different style rods on their cars that have locking features. What is Unique using these days and is it compatible with what I have now?
    Thanks...Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Not where I can get to my pictures but I did what others have done and put a stainless screw adjacent to the prop hole and used a 1 inch rubber o ring with a small o ring to synch it down on the rod and then hook it over the screw. Simple and it works.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Not where I can get to my pictures but I did what others have done and put a stainless screw adjacent to the prop hole and used a 1 inch rubber o ring with a small o ring to synch it down on the rod and then hook it over the screw. Simple and it works.
    Interesting, cant really picture it though! How do you get the o rings to hook into each other? I can't imagine how this would look. Does anybody have a pic?
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

hood prop

Here are a couple pics of my car, seems to work fine on a windy day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA070413.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	2403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA070411.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	2405  

That's it.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Oh, I see, picture is worth a thousand words!
    a few questions:

Is that a fancy kind of thumbscrew?
    Any special procedure or fastener for going into the fiberglass?
    Do you leave the O rings attached to the prop rod when not in use or is it something you just carry in the car for a windy day?
    Thanks...Dave
    Dave