Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hood prop rod question

modified prop rod

Ok, I finished my version of a fix that looks pretty decent in my opinion...and it works great. I have simulated a big wind gust buy hitting the underside of the hood fast and pretty hard and there is no way this will ever blow off again.
    I kind of copied the SPF set up that they use on their cars. I bent a bolt in a vise, then welded it on the end of the Unique prop rod, sized it using a air sander and finished with Scotchbrite and painted it black. I also put an o-ring on it so i would not mar the paint anymore.
    The hook is on an angle so when the wind comes along, the rod drops straight down in the slot. The hole in the hood matches it perfectly so it goes in very easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4657.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	2560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4660.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	2561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4665.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	2562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4813.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	2563  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4816.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	2564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4824.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	2565  
    Last edited by davids2toys; February 12th, 2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Nice job Dave. Looks good and functional.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Nice job Dave. Looks good and functional.
    Gary
    Thanks Gary
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

maybe a new perm mod to the Unique Cobra's
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Nice

As far as the metal protector around the prop rod hole,this has been done before, Butch Capps made this modification about 3 years ago on both of his cars, 289 FIA and 427 S/C.

It is a little difficult with the hood on, best preformed with the hood off.

Looks very good. I am not so sure this will completely eliminate the hood from seperating from the prop rod in a strong wind gust!!
    Last edited by eliminator; February 14th, 2011 at 05:55 AM.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    As far as the metal protector around the prop rod hole,this has been done before, Butch Capps made this modification about 3 years ago on both of his cars, 289 FIA and 427 S/C.

It is a little difficult with the hood on, best preformed with the hood off.

Looks very good. I am not so sure this will completely eliminate the hood from seperating from the prop rod in a strong wind gust!!
    It absolutely will not and cannot blow off the prop rod! It would be physically impossible without breaking the hood. The hooked end would have to tear thru the fiberglass for that to happen. I am sure if the wind was blowing strong enough to do that, and you were out in your Cobra you should probably need your head examined anyway.
    Dave

I have seen these hoods buffet back and forth pretty hard in some windy conditions. As far as the conditions, they can happen quickly during when a storm blows in.
    Hope you make it to Homecoming, I would like to take a closer look at it.
    Rick

I have seen these hoods buffet back and forth pretty hard in some windy conditions. As far as the conditions, they can happen quickly during when a storm blows in.
    Hope you make it to Homecoming, I would like to take a closer look at it.
    Surprise wind can happen and has happened to me...that is the beauty of this mod, you have no choice, it is locked in automatically so there is nothing to forget...so surprise me all you want! That is why I did this in the first place.
    Actually about homecoming, was a chance I may have made it down there, but it is really not looking good at the moment.
    Dave
    Dave

"Actually about homecoming, was a chance I may have made it down there, but it is really not looking good at the moment."

Thats not good, would really like to see your car, maybe next year.
    Rick

"Actually about homecoming, was a chance I may have made it down there, but it is really not looking good at the moment."

Thats not good, would really like to see your car, maybe next year.
    I can take any picture you want me to take and send it to you. Just let me know.
    Dave
    Dave

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
    Actually about homecoming, was a chance I may have made it down there, but it is really not looking good at the moment.

Dave
    I thought all those Cobra guys from CT were real men and could drive their cars to Homecoming in under three days! C'mon Dave, no weenies... trailer it if you have to!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Quote Originally Posted by Slither View Post
    I thought all those Cobra guys from CT were real men and could drive their cars to Homecoming in under three days! C'mon Dave, no weenies... trailer it if you have to!
    Not this real man, I would have to agree with you, driving from Ct to Alabama in a cobra is a feat in my book and you would qualify as a real man...I guess I am a fake, you figured me out Paul
    Just returned to work yesterday after ten months out with this stupid knee. I may have to use up all my vaca time just to fix up my attendance, between that and all the damage to fix on the house and yard this spring from the kick arse winter we are going thru..unfortunately homecoming is low on the list of things to do. One day I definitely want to do it, from what I hear from you and others, it sounds awesome!!
    Dave
    Dave

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Yup, the CT contingent is an amazing and talented bunch... nice cars, and they do it every year, without fail.

Keep it in the back of your mind and think about it... you can always change your mind.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

From what you have told me, I have to agree with you.
    I believe Brian is selling his Unique though!
    Dave