Thread: Questions on a Re-paint?

Questions on a Re-paint?

Although my car is 17 years old and still looks pretty nice, I am seriously considering a major re-do to deal with the many road scars etc, etc. my painter is just talking about sanding down the clear , fixing all the chips, finessing anything else wrong and re-shooting 2 coats of clear on the entire car. He is going to charge me 2000.00 plus I buy all the materials. He does very nice work and I have used him before. I know I will need to remove as much chrome and other stuff as I can.
    Can anybody tell me the parts that must be removed, and the best way to attack this project. If it wasn't so hard to do on a finished car, I would almost think removing the body would be the best way to go, but fear, ignorance, and time is telling me NO WAY!
    Thanks Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

i am doing the same thing . I am pulling the the doors, hood, and trunk for the painter do first. you will need to remove windshield, bumpers ,tank filler tail lights, license bracket, headlights, side louvers, side mirrors, wipers. all basic stuff. I am leaving the roll bar since there is enough room to tape it off without issue. I can't think of anything else right now.

I think you would want to pull the side pipes as well.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    i am doing the same thing . I am pulling the the doors, hood, and trunk for the painter do first. you will need to remove windshield, bumpers ,tank filler tail lights, license bracket, headlights, side louvers, side mirrors, wipers. all basic stuff. I am leaving the roll bar since there is enough room to tape it off without issue. I can't think of anything else right now.
    I am leaving the louvers because they are body color. The rollbar I thought I would have to removed but if the rubber donuts can be moved up and then tape the bar, I suppose that should be sufficient. I was also thinking the dashboard needs to be dropped down or removed.

Yes, Patrick, I was sure the side-pipes needed to be removed, the painter did mention this also.

Is there anything I need to be aware of while taking things off or before I start removing stuff?
    Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

definitely side pipes. dash is recessed a bit and can be masked off

I'm repainting a car now and I pulled the same parts but I did pull the roll bar, it takes a little work but worth doing in the long run.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post
    I'm repainting a car now and I pulled the same parts but I did pull the roll bar, it takes a little work but worth doing in the long run.

Alan
    Your the expert, thanks
    Dave