Thread: Door Sill Trim

Door Sill Trim

To me, what looks like the door edge molding that you can buy at a local parts store is really looking bad,chrome peeling of, etc, etc... especially on the drivers side! Which is a good thing because it is protecting the paint on the door sill. I like the way it looks also, especially with the doors closed and you can just see the chrome edge, kind of a finishing off touch of the interior and a protector.
    So my problem is replacing it, I finally got the widest I could find, it is made from Cowles corp. The stuff I got is call truck door edge guard, it is about 7/16 wide, which is about what was on there, but the part that goes around the fiberglass is driving me nuts, the opening is just to small , the fiberglass is just too thick in spots. The trim that was on there fit good, I just don't know what it is or where to get it! I did notice some pics in the Unique picture gallery, especially one pic that shows a door sill that to me looks like a plate attached to it that looks real nice! If anyone has more info they could share with me, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks...Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Here is the picture from the Unique picture gallery I was referring to.

http://www.uniquemotorcars.com/images/MVC-007S1.JPG
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Door Edge Trim

I purchased the polished aluminum door strips from a customer of Unique Motorcars. I cannot remember his name, met him at a Carlisle show. Call Maurice or Alan, they'll hook you up. I have them on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by davebetts View Post
    I purchased the polished aluminum door strips from a customer of Unique Motorcars. I cannot remember his name, met him at a Carlisle show. Call Maurice or Alan, they'll hook you up. I have them on both sides.
    Thank you...Is your car the one in the picture in the link? Is the piece totally flat, or does in wrap down around the inside edge?
    Last edited by davids2toys; October 15th, 2010 at 08:04 AM.
    Dave

Sill Plates

Lee Dahmer owner of Sterling Replicars is the person to talk to. The sill plates are one of the optional products he markets through his business. They still list on the web for $95.00. A link is attached below.

http://sterlingreplicars.com/content/67/door-sills.html

- Geary

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
    Lee Dahmer owner of Sterling Replicars is the person to talk to. The sill plates are one of the optional products he markets through his business. They still list on the web for $95.00. A link is attached below.

http://sterlingreplicars.com/content/67/door-sills.html

- Geary
    Thanks Geary
    They look pretty cool, i will have toi give him a call.
    I wonder if they are the same as the ones davebettes was referring too?
    Dave
    Dave

Lee displayed his car quite often with Unique at Carlisle so I would believe he saw the sill plates on Lee's car.

- Geary

Band saw

If you know someone with a bandsaw just go to the local hardware store and buy some angle Aluminum. Mearsure how long you want to make the sill protectors. Cut the angle that length, then using the bandsaw cut one side off the angle leaving maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch for a lip on the inside of the car. Go ahead and lay out the holes while it's still flat. As for forming it I used a piece of cardboard to mark the curvature of the door then cut an old piece of wood to that contour. Using your hand bend it to the wood, you can even put wood screws in it to pull it down on the wood. Polish it, brush it whatever you want for a finish, trim the corners and smooth the edges. Once done bolt or rivet it to the door sill.
    A few dollars and hours your done. Once finished drink a cold beer and rest after all the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
    If you know someone with a bandsaw just go to the local hardware store and buy some angle Aluminum. Mearsure how long you want to make the sill protectors. Cut the angle that length, then using the bandsaw cut one side off the angle leaving maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch for a lip on the inside of the car. Go ahead and lay out the holes while it's still flat. As for forming it I used a piece of cardboard to mark the curvature of the door then cut an old piece of wood to that contour. Using your hand bend it to the wood, you can even put wood screws in it to pull it down on the wood. Polish it, brush it whatever you want for a finish, trim the corners and smooth the edges. Once done bolt or rivet it to the door sill.
    A few dollars and hours your done. Once finished drink a cold beer and rest after all the hard work.
    Thanks for the details, that is where I was kind of going today. Talked to Alan today about my side-pipes and fan and this subject came up in the conversation. He recommended Mcmaster carr and I found this:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-trim/=9ait64
    I think style# 9 would work the best. I am buying some oval head sheet metal screws. Do you think that would be a good fastener for FG?
    Dave