Thread: Coolong Fan Options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coolong Fan Options

I have resisted using the front pusher fans on my FIA and have only used the 16 in SPAL fan, but in traffic the SPAL is not getting the job done. I haven't seen over 210 yet, but I know that it is just because I haven't had to sit long enough. As soon as I get back above 30 mph the temp goes back down to 180.

Other than building a custome shroud that the sway bar passes through, has anyone found a differnt way of dealing with the fan/swaybar clearance issue? Are there any other swaybar options out there or is there a way to modify the front swaybar to fit a larger SPAL fan?

Suggestions welcome.

Justin

Justin - Brent solved that problem by bending the sway bar. Search his past post, he shows pictures.
    Bob

You might want to verify that the fan is getting a full 13 to 14 volts with the engine running. You would be surprised at how much voltage drop you can get by running the fan voltage through too small gauge wire. That voltage drop will cause the fan to run slower than expected.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

My experience is that the pusher are more for looks - they do very little to move air on a hot day or when sitting in traffic. I installed the SPAL and it has made a world of difference. The SPAL does have a big amperage draw, so after burning up a toggle switch or two I installed a relay - 10gauge wire and a 20 amp fuse won't hurt either....... no more problems and a cool running motor.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

I will check the voltage to see what the fan is drawing. Since I never used the pusher fans, I just used the wiring for them and hooked it up to the Spal. I am not a wiring expert by any means, so should I have done this differently?

Justin

You should be okay.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)