Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coolong Fan Options

Oh, I wanted to spare the details! But yes, a small roll of green duct tape and black electrical tape, fuse puller and tester, special thin wrenches for throttle linkage.
    You don't want me to go into the tool bag...LOL
    All of this fits in the right quarter panel pocket, along with rags, detail kit, 1/18 scale Cobra model and some bottled water.
    The list would be impressive if I broke down the whole trunk item by item, especially now since it is getting cold on those fall cruises. I did try for the kitchen sink, but I would have had to skip my car cover, the car cover won the spot!
    At the moment I am pricing out a total hidden Stereo system...there goes the car cover
    This would be a good thread to start" What a Cobra owner keeps in his trunk"
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Dave,

You'll need one relay for the fan, two for the lights (hi and lo) and maybe one for an electric fuel pump. Use the same relay for all and carry just one spare.

I've never had a relay fail. They are simple devices and are quite reliable.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Dave,

You'll need one relay for the fan, two for the lights (hi and lo) and maybe one for an electric fuel pump. Use the same relay for all and carry just one spare.

I've never had a relay fail. They are simple devices and are quite reliable.
    I have no experience with relays at all. I bought a relay last years for the lights, but only one! I was told I would only need one, are you sure I need two?
    Thanks...Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
    I have no experience with relays at all. I bought a relay last years for the lights, but only one! I was told I would only need one, are you sure I need two?
    Thanks...Dave
    Yes. You need one for high and one for low beam. You could get fancy and use three. The third can be a master to the two downstream headlights and be swiched with ignition hot. That way your light go out when you pull the key and you never return to a dead battery when you forget to turn off the lights.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Yes. You need one for high and one for low beam. You could get fancy and use three. The third can be a master to the two downstream headlights and be switched with ignition hot. That way your light go out when you pull the key and you never return to a dead battery when you forget to turn off the lights.
    I guess I have a lot to learn.
    I will have to find some literature on all of this so it is done the first time correctly!
    Thanks
    Dave

Here is a basic diagram showing two relays. I show two bulbs for hi and low. These would actually be a single physical headlight with two inputs and a ground.

The relay pin numbers are Bosch (now Tyco) standard numbers. Pin 30 and 87 are connected inside the relay when the circuit is complete on pins 85 and 86.

Buy a relay and play with it on a workbench. It will all make sense.

Here is a good website I found that will help.
    http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...osch/relay.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pbrown; October 28th, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Great info, thanks a lot. Well the low beams should be easy. as far as the high beam goes, i will just need to find the high beam wire from the pogo stick on the column!
    Dave
    Dave