Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolong Fan Options

wiring

Here is a link. The price has went up about $15.00 since I ordered.

http://www.spalusa.com/pdf/185FH_SPEC.PDF#view=FitH

Quote Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
    Here is a link. The price has went up about $15.00 since I ordered.

http://www.spalusa.com/pdf/185FH_SPEC.PDF#view=FitH
    Identical with mine. If that relay fails, that dash switch will not turn the fan on.
    Relays, properly rated, will perform for years without failure, so this is a moot issue IMHO
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Nice seeing this thread, thanks for the PM diegokid.

I just ordered a SPAL 16"fan last week and install kit from Maurice. I guess I will have to see what is in the kit as far as what I will need to install. Alan said just use a relay , no thermastat, and just use a new dash switch on a separate circuit from the present pusher fan switch. I hate electrical so I am not looking fwd to screwing with the electrical end of this!
    The Weavers also said this fan will go right in with the present sway bar(mine is 5/8). I guess this thing mounts with pins thru the radiator. My pushers actually were doing a 1/2 way decent job except very hot weather and stuck in very heavy traffic. never over heated thought, just watched the gauge keep creeping up slowly but surely, ensuing in progressive panic. Hopefully no more of that.
    So last week I ordered my three x-mas presents to myself:
    1 SPAL fan
    2 Rear sway bar
    3 Spiral flow side-pipes

Any advice on the install is appreciated.

Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Relays, properly rated, will perform for years without failure, so this is a moot issue IMHO[/QUOTE]

Agreed Jim, though I have seen more failed relays than failed thermostatic switches, however both are rare. I guess what I figure is that the switch on the dash really is redundant. Thanks for your help, I'm going to check to see if my car has a relay operated by the switch on the dash or if it is just directly connected. I hope there is a relay and all I have to add is the thermostat. Clearly this is a much better system than having to remember to turn on the swiitch. My car started it's life as Alan's car though it had a 428 then, got changed a few years and two owners later to the 427 so I don't know when the fan I have was installed. Maybe Alan can recall if he had it in when he drove the car??
    Last edited by arrowdriver; October 24th, 2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: typo

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by arrowdriver View Post
    Seems to work well enough to keep the engine cool when sitting in traffic on hot days.

Hot weather in Calgary Canada?... We aren't talking about 60 degree weather when the permafrost just starts to melt here are we?

No wonder it works well!

You have snow yet?
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Before I owned this car it was in Tenn after Alan sold it so has seen some hot weather. Here, being as we are at 4000 ft above sealevel a hot day is mid 90's and bright sun. Needless to say, this car is not a winter car, though we have days in January warm enough for it with temps in the mid 60's at times.

Regarding snow, our autumn has been exceptionally mild and sunny this year extending the golfing weather nicely but we did get our first snowfall last night though it wont stay yet, just enough to cover the grass and remind us that winter is around the corner. Gotta check those skis! Hope they are getting some in the mountains.

Our climate is similar to Denver's though with far less snow than they get. Not nearly as cold as Wyoming in winter. Ever been here?

The car did not have a rear mounted puller fan when we owned it, only a pusher with no relay.

Thanks for the info Alan, seems it still has the same pusher fan so doubtful that there is a relay anywhere in the system. BTW, I'm taking good care of your car and enjoying every mile.

The switch should handle the single fan without a relay but if you add a rear fan it will need one.

Quote Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
    I guess this thing mounts with pins thru the radiator.

Any advice on the install is appreciated.

Dave
    Dave, don't use the push through pins to mount the fan. Eventually they'll wear a hole in the radiator.

Spal makes a mounting kit (30130011) for the fan that will anchor it properly. Or, if you're like me, you can fab up something like spals and get the job done with something made from your own two hands If you're into rolling your own, I'll snap some pics of my brackets to show you how I mounted mine.
    Last edited by Jim Harding; October 25th, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harding View Post
    Dave, don't use the push through pins to mount the fan. Eventually they'll wear a hole in the radiator.

Spal makes a mounting kit (30130011) for the fan that will anchor it properly. Or, if you're like me, you can fab up something like spals and get the job done with something made from your own two hands If you're into rolling your own, I'll snap some pics of my brackets to show you how I mounted mine.
    Thanks for the info. I am getting an install kit with the fan, guess we will see what is in it when I get it
    Maybe it will be the kit you are referring to.
    Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Just carry a spare relay. They're only a few bucks.

This is where I buy relays and connectors:
    http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm

The relay:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-070

The pigtail:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-080
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowdriver View Post
    Ever been here?
    Lots of time in eastern Canada, around Montreal and Sherbrooke, but not much out west.

Did a canoeing trip in Quetico once, many moons ago... not that it is "west."

Thought I would miss the snow when I headed south... for a little while but NOT anymore!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Just in case you have forgotten what snow is for, here is a refresher.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Just carry a spare relay. They're only a few bucks.

This is where I buy relays and connectors:
    http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm

The relay:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-070

The pigtail:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-080
    Excellent, thank you very much.
    Dave
    Dave

Agreed that the relays are pretty cheap but how do you determine what "spares" to carry as there are lots of other small items one might add to the list. Fortunately most of the components of our cars that might fail are generally easy to locate and buy so the chances of being stranded while on the road are small. I carry a few tools but no spares of any kind. How about others here?

No tools no spares just a cell phone with the 24 hour a day emergency number for rollback service. opps I forgot that I do have a spare 20 amp fuse in the side door pocket for the fan.
    Unique 4279459

spare fuses for every fuse in the car, headlight switch, I will carry a spare relay when I do the fan. i also want to put a headlight relay in, so that will be two spare relays.
    In addition to spares I carry a fishing bag full of asst hand tools, 10 feet of 3/8 fuel line, makes a good syphon in case you run out of gas(happened once), also makes a great temp fix or an insulator, asst hose clamps, Safety wire( can temporarily fix a bunch of stuff with this!!!
    4'x4' quilt to put on fenders in case I need to work on the car on the road. A magnet with a built in light. can of fix a flat, asst tie wraps...........
    Of course the cell phone and motoring plan as a last resort
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
    spare fuses for every fuse in the car, headlight switch, I will carry a spare relay when I do the fan. i also want to put a headlight relay in, so that will be two spare relays.
    In addition to spares I carry a fishing bag full of asst hand tools, 10 feet of 3/8 fuel line, makes a good syphon in case you run out of gas(happened once), also makes a great temp fix or an insulator, asst hose clamps, Safety wire( can temporarily fix a bunch of stuff with this!!!
    4'x4' quilt to put on fenders in case I need to work on the car on the road. A magnet with a built in light. can of fix a flat, asst tie wraps...........
    Of course the cell phone and motoring plan as a last resort
    What!! No duct tape???
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Talking

I think you left out the kitchen sink?
    Unique 4279459