Thread: Help... camera for Timing?

Help... camera for Timing?

HELP.... I can't see the timing marks or indicator with the eng installed and all the other "stuff" in the way. Because of the harmonic balancer I used, the timing mark is on the driver’s side (i.e., looking at the crank pulley at the 2 o’clock position) vs. the normal passenger side at the 10 o’clock position. See two pictures attached. The red arrows indicate where the timing mark indicator is located. What’s my options at this point? I even looked from under the car… no visual contact. Then I tried a mirror… with the engine running this isn’t a good option.
    So, I was thinking of an inexpensive camera/scope of some sort…. Maybe something on the end of a bendable tube of some sort?
    Ideas welcome.
    Thanks Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1168redarrow.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	2455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1170red arrow.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	2456  
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Mark, you can get tape on timing marks from Mr Gasket http://mr-gasket.com/ProductsListByM...minselection=2 just index it to the side that you can see.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

MSD has those tapes too.

You can just use a bright orange paint pen to mark TDC and use a dial back timing light.

You will probably have a better view from the other side. Find or fabricate a pointer for the side you can see best and mark the damper or use tape there.
    Last edited by pbrown; November 5th, 2010 at 09:16 AM.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Rod has the right idea. You could also purchase a dental type mirror to see when you have it on TDC to apply the tape. I bought on of those mirrors at Harbor Freight when I was building my car and it has proved to be very useful for a number of things.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

thanks all.
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.