Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Air for Foot Boxes

Fresh Air for Foot Boxes

I have just completed making and installing fresh air vents for my foot boxes.

I cobbled together some parts from the local auto parts store with dampers and pull/push cables.

pictures to follow soon
    Last edited by Naumoff; July 18th, 2008 at 08:27 PM.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Exclamation Oh, yeah.......

THIS is one I cannot wait to do. Too long now, parbroiling my feets.

Hurry, please, Tony - need to see what you did. Just might save me from having to install a/c and a top

-Roger
    Yeehah

Here is the finish product

Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Tuner intake duct from Auto Zone

Tony

drilled the aluminum flanges. Heated, bent, tempered and installed rods.
    Made dampers from sheet aluminum.Made a jig from a 2x4 so I could remove the pilot bit so I wouldn't have a 1/4" hole in it.
    Filed a flat spot on the rod and drilled holes through damper and installed them, then epoxied the disc to the rod.

Cross
    Tony

I used a choke conversion kit from the help section. It had a bracket to hold the cable.
    I had to get 2 duct kits for each side to reach the front. Made peices of pipe from sheet aluminum to couple the hoses together. Zip tied the duct to the wiring harness but will change that to there own straps later.

Tony

I can probably refine some of the fabrication but this should work.
    It is a low budget deal.
    I have less than $150.00 and my time for both sides.I didn't clock the hours as I worked a little here and there on it.
    I kept seeing people spending $800.00 to $1000.00 for this set up.
    The duct kits I used are made for under the hood and are heat resistant with memory to where you bend them and don't sag.

Roger, these would have been nice for my trip up to the Cobra Revolution.
    If they don't move enough air I can either put bilge blowers in line or I thought about computer cooling fans in the foot boxes.
    Last edited by Naumoff; July 19th, 2008 at 07:13 AM.
    Tony

I made the the scoops from sheet aluminum. Rolled it around a peice of 2" PVC pipe. Zip tied it and pop riveted one end with a couple of rivets.

Removed the ties and opened the other end then cut down on an angle.

Fitted and trimed duct around vent opening the secure with caulk.

Tony

I am missing some photos of when I made the rod mechanism for the dampers.

I went for a short ride tonight and they work good.
    I can give a full report after tomorrow. We are going on a few hour cruise and can give you input from the passenger side as well.
    Tony

Talking

You, my friend, are a champ. And I am positively overjoyed to hear it works as intended.

Is the duct 2"? - perfect for fitting into tight spots, but wondering about ability to carry enough air in without a fan. Still........

Went to Delaware today without the car as it spit out the driver side rear alignment shims Thursday....appears the bolt worked a tad loose. So the car stayed put in the garage; I'm only slightly disappointed since I know we would have had something akin to Popeye's Chicken legs by the time we got back. Those footwells get mighty hot, even with the shields in the bay.

p.s. - looks like your apprenticeship hasn't left you...your tin-knocking skills still sharp
    Yeehah

Thanks for the compliment Roger. Sorry to hear about your shims. That is a bummer!

The duct is just under 3" inside diameter. The foot boxes, as you know, are just stagnet. I figured any air moving through them would help.
    I was wearing jeans and could tell the difference when opening and closing the damper.
    Today will be the real test. I am going to put fans in anyway just to have air flowing when sitting still might be nice.
    Someone said I might want to insulate the duct in the engine compartment.
    If we get hot air blowing on are legs today that will happen.
    Last edited by Naumoff; July 20th, 2008 at 05:48 AM.
    Tony

Nice job Tony, what type of sealant did you use on the intake scoop?
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Thumbs up

Nice Job Tony!! Keep us up to date on if you have to add the fans.

Ralph

90+ today and humid............................................. .....

two thumbs up. I am very happy with how much air comes through the vents.

The wife was very happy with the vents too.

Of course fans would be nice when you are stuck in traffic but on a cruise you are moving more than you are sitting still.

I can tell a big difference and the dampers work great. They stop the flow of air and it feels great when I opened them up.

Rod the sealer I used was Permatex Ultra Black.

Thanks, Tony
    Tony

Thumbs up

And I thought I had a lot of spare time! Looking goooood
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    And I thought I had a lot of spare time! Looking goooood
    Discipline. What are you doing with all your spare time anyway?

Thanks for the compliment Phil.
    Tony

Excellent my friend. Nicely engineered and good photo-documentation.
    Just a note on your private message. I don't check PM's often so I am very late in responding to 4 forum members. We'll have to make plans to hookup after my hood is resculpted. Now I'm running around South-Central PA illegally hoodless. Short hops and midnight test loops. I have crossed paths with State Troopers and Lower Paxton Township Police without incident so far although a social conversation with a Lower Paxton officer resulted with the officer leaning back, shaking her head, and saying "Ah .....so You're the one with the Car" when we were introduced.

- Geary

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
    Excellent my friend. Nicely engineered and good photo-documentation.
    Just a note on your private message. I don't check PM's often so I am very late in responding to 4 forum members. We'll have to make plans to hookup after my hood is resculpted. Now I'm running around South-Central PA illegally hoodless. Short hops and midnight test loops. I have crossed paths with State Troopers and Lower Paxton Township Police without incident so far although a social conversation with a Lower Paxton officer resulted with the officer leaning back, shaking her head, and saying "Ah .....so You're the one with the Car" when we were introduced.

- Geary
    Thanks Geary.
    Let me know when you have her bonnet done. We definitely need to hook up.
    Hoodless in central PA. Do you have historic tags? We have lots of street rods in MD that don't run hood even some 60s muscle cars. Is PA that strict or are the police just bored?
    Tony

Just regular tags Tony. I believe I could run it legal with street rod tags here in PA.
    When we get together we should meet some scenic place for photos of the two cars.

I'm starting another thread on the hood. It's UGLY - real ugly. My name isn't Weaver so I don't have fiberglass in my blood. While they make it look easy it does not come natural to me.
    -Geary

That sounds good to me.
    You just pic the spot and I am there.

I am sure your fiberglass skills are way better than mine. My first attempt at a scoop was in fiberglass. It might of worked but boy it was ugly.
    I definitely need more practice with that.

Looking forward to your thread on the hood.
    Tony