Thread: Power Brakes

Power Brakes

Just a note to see if there is any interest generated in a power brake upgrade for your Unique car. These vintage Girling units were a common option on many British cars in the late 60's-early 70's. The Girling servos are remote mounted downstream from the master cylinder and are a relatively easy installation. The vacuum operated servos almost double your foot pressure on the brakes. I am planning on adding the vintage twin Girling servo setup to my car. It will be installed as on CSX3015 in the 60's. The only immediate problem is sourcing the parts. I am doing the legwork now and have several possible sources for the parts. If these vendors/products are satisfactory, I would be able to provide a twin servo kit complete with brackets, hoses, lines, and fittings. With the individuality of our cars, some minor fitting adjustments will probaby occur.
    Included is an image of CSX3015 showing the servo units. The servos black vacuum canisters are easily seen forward of the waterpump pulley.

- Geary
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aggressor; December 22nd, 2010 at 06:57 AM.

Always woundered why no one has come up with a power brake set up. Would be a great improvement. Braking in traffic has always worried me. Do Superformance cars have power brakes?
    Bob

Superformance does have power brakes.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

I'm interested in hearing more....... have had a couple teeth clenching experiences that I would prefer to avoid in the future.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Check out these units they have a new more compact model. This is on my upgrade list, I talked to these guys they seem pretty helpful.

http://www.abspowerbrake.com

Mike
    Last edited by pbrown; December 27th, 2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Fixed web link

Brakes

That was one of the things that really suprised me on these cars. When I was looking at them it looked as though the brakes should be able to stop these light cars in a lot quicker time. Power brakes would be a very good upgrade. I can stop it fast but am pushing the brake pedal so hard it feels like a leg machine in the gym.

The link listed above doesn't work, is their another one?

Time travel

Looks like some of yawl have traveled foward in time. You've posted from Dec 22, 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
    Looks like some of yawl have traveled foward in time. You've posted from Dec 22, 2010.
    Fixed......
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Time Warp

For Patrick: " Lets do the Time Warp Again" .

(Seriously - Thank You)

-Geary

"Rose tint my world
    Keeps me safe from my trouble and pain"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aggressor; November 23rd, 2010 at 05:04 AM.

I am thinking of winter projects and am thinking about installing a power brake set up. Has anyone worked through this? I have done some research and generic kits are available from the big catalog companies.

Homer,

Check out the ABS link above. They have a small booster setup that is available with a disk/disk master. I'm not sure about fitment. Someone will have to look under there hood to see how much room there is. You would probably need to go with a single rod from the brake pedal instead of the balance bar.
    Last edited by pbrown; December 27th, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator