Thread: windshield grommets

windshield grommets

has anybody used grommets on the body slot where the windshield goes through. I am thinking it might look a little cleaner the the alum. covers used to cover the windshield slot in the body. any thoughts?

Finish Line has the aluminum plates and rubber gaskets that go under them.
    See link:http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...g1ivsiql5b32n2

Bill

I used the Unique supplied trim plates. For sealing I coated the undersides with clear silicone sealant just prior to installation. I also added a thin bead inside the cowl area to be sure of a seal. Another place to seal is the entire bottom of the windshield frame where the rubber seal contacts the cowl. After windshield installation you can lift up on the windshield-to-cowl seal from the outside and a thin bead of silicone can neatly and invisibly be applied there also. I find that here in the NorthEast I've come to appreciate having these areas sealed for washing the car and because I drive it very often.

Also the softtop that Unique offers is a handsome unit and a valuable asset for occassional rainstorms.

- Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; December 8th, 2010 at 04:47 PM.

I'm not sure how you would get a rubber grommet to stay in place while you installed the windshield frame, I think the metal covers look just fine.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

The rubber grommet has a recess that fits around the aluminum plate perfectly. We have them on our car and are very happy with them. Click on the link, then click in the rubber grommet, and click on the picture to enlarge. The picture will be self explanitory. Easy to install and professional looking.
    http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...g1ivsiql5b32n2

Bill
    Last edited by Glenview289; December 8th, 2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added link

Here's a picture of the stock grommet from Unique
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Red face

i figured it probably wouldn't work but i thought a lipped gromet like we have around the bumper holes would look nice if you could find a thin one that could squeeze into the slot. guess i'll stick with the alum cover plates