Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Slave Cylinder change?

Clutch Slave Cylinder change?

I've heard of issues with the clutch slave cylinders on our Cobras, e.g., leaking, wearing out prematurely, breaking. My car only has a few hundred miles on it and already the slave cylinder has drops of brake fluid. Heck, while at the Emerald Coast auto show, one of our fellow Cobra owners had his slave cylinder go out at the Cruizin the Coast (MS) show last Oct. He's going with a cable set up. Not being one to wait and have a failure out on the road, I'm changing to something different. I'm looking to this forum for ideas, pictures and suggestions. I'm currently looking at the Wilwood slave cylinder. It only comes in a "pull" and the standard Unique setup on our 427s is a push. The pull isn't a show stopper, I'd just need to make a bracket. This will be a good winter project. I was going to bleed the brakes and clutch anyway.

I'll keep you posted with my modification.

Thanks Mark
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Mark, most of the failures I've seen are due to a misalignment of the slave cylinder. The misalignment is noticeable when the slave push rod does not exit the slave exactly perpendicular, i.e. a slight angle between the body of the slave and the push rod. This causes abnormal wear on one side of the piston/cylinder rather than even wear around its circumference. Careful realignment of the slave will cure your problem.
    The Wilwood pull cylinder will do the same thing if there is misalignment. I'm using a Wilwood pull slave on my black car and it has been trouble free since it's installation back in 2000. So far, the push type on my silver car has gone over 3K without a problem..... oh oh, maybe I just jinxed myself
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Thanks Jim..... I've read all the past threads and mind is misaligned also. The good thing about the Wilwood, it has two swivel/pivot bearings, one on each end for a 360 deg of movement, and if mounted correctly, the slave cylinder is always in a straight line, therefore, no side pressure. And, because its pulling, vs. pushing, it’s easy to keep itself in a straight line (like pulling a rope vs pushing one). I'm designing a bracket know and plan to weld up over the weekend unless someone has a better design/idea.
    Picture attached
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wilwood slave.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	2493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wilwood slave2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	2494  
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Never had a Failure on the Slave

Alignment is key, but don't forget to use the Wilwood High Temp brake fluid. Not doing so has caused failures in itself - fluid cooks from overheating and Game Over. Also, I remember guys putting the updated Dot 5 and/or synthetic fluids in - again failure from heat and/or rubber deteriation. I belive regular Dot 4 is the correct fluid. Hope this helps.

Thanks Dave.... regarding brake fluid, I use Amsoil DOT 4 racing brake fluid, rated for 600 degs

Mark

Mark - I changed mine from the Lockhead push to the Wilwood pull. I've got some pics I'll find and send. I made a U shape bracket of 1/2" steel to weld to frame to attach slave to. I found a 3/4" ball bearing and had it cut in half, drilled hole and used to attach slave to clutch arm (half ball fits in indentation in clutch arm). Works perfect and had no problems.
    Bob

Did the Wilwood slave make for a harder pedal?

Quote Originally Posted by spd4me View Post
    Mark - I changed mine from the Lockhead push to the Wilwood pull. I've got some pics I'll find and send. I made a U shape bracket of 1/2" steel to weld to frame to attach slave to. I found a 3/4" ball bearing and had it cut in half, drilled hole and used to attach slave to clutch arm (half ball fits in indentation in clutch arm). Works perfect and had no problems.
    Bob
    Thanks Bob.... I'm pretty much doing the same thing. When you bleed the slave, do you just rotate the cylinder bleed valve to the 12 oclock position?
    Marj

I recently switched from the McLeod Concentric (Leaking POS) to the Forte setup. Although I think Forte's CNC slave and bracket are over priced, it does look good and work.

Justin

Hi Justin.... I was looking at Forte's set up. Does look good, but I've read a lot of issues, of late, with it on various forums. It also appears it doesn't swivel on both ends like the Wilwood does? If it doesn't, side load will end up being an issue. Another good thing with the Wilwood, a rebuild kit is avail.

Mark

The pedal movement is smooth as glass. Just as easy or easier than the push style Lockheed. Just rotate bleed valve to 12 oclock and start pumping. The major problem I had was the clutch arm hitting the inside of the bellhousing and not traveling enough to disengage the clutch. Fixed that with a 1/2" spacer.
    Bob

One other thing to look at is the amount of travel. The wilwood gives the most travel of all I researched. 1.25" if I remember correct.

One other thing to look at is the amount of travel. The wilwood gives the most travel of all I researched. 1.25" if I remember correct.

1.38" to be exact. I measured the original travel at the end of the arm while my wife depressed the clutch pedal all the way..... it was only about 1/2 inch. So the Wilwood has that covered with no problem.

Mark

Mark - All I got before was 1/2" travel and it wasn't enough to disengauge clutch (esp. when putting into reverse). Problem was clutch arm was binding on bellhousing. See attached photos. Solved by replacing 2 washers with a block of 1/2" steel with 2 holes drilled.

Mark - All I got before was 1/2" travel and it wasn't enough to disengauge clutch (esp. when putting into reverse). Problem was clutch arm was binding on bellhousing. See attached photos. Solved by replacing 2 washers with a block of 1/2" steel with 2 holes drilled.
    What attached photos?

trying to attach photos

Name:	Clutch 001A.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	2495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch 005A.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	2496  

New bracket and Wilwood slave installed

The new Wilwood slave cylinder installed with the bracket I fabricated. The only thing left is to connect the line and add/bleed brake fluid.

Mark

Name:	IMG_1305.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	2497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1310.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	2498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1311.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	2499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1314.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	2500  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1318.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	2501  

The Forte Unit came out straight, but to get it the way I wanted it, I had to put in a longer actuator rod. I went up to a 7/8 master and the pedal is still much lighter than the McLeod. Bonus is if it leaks, I don't have to drop the trans again.

Make sure to check your solid-roller lifters every couple of thousand miles. My $800 Isky Redzones just spit the bearings out.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Upchurch View Post
    Make sure to check your solid-roller lifters every couple of thousand miles. My $800 Isky Redzones just spit the bearings out.

Justin
    I only have 318 miles on the engine, but I pulled the valve covers, popped out the spark plugs and adjusted all the valve lashes. While doing that, I also installed a new timing mark and tape at the 11:00 position…. Much easier to see. I first had to cut off a senor mounting piece on the water pump housing (used on later model Fords) to alow the new Ford Racing timiming mark to flush mount. The harmonic balancer I bought had the TDC at the 1:00 position which was absolutely impossible to see. This new one is perfect. I also pulled the front hubs/calipers and installed saftey wire in all the rotor to hub bolts and caliper to mounting bracket bolts. Winter projects, got to love them!

Mark

Name:	IMG_1265.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	2502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1273.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	2503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1276.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	2504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1295.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	2505  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1296.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	2506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1300.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	2507  
    Last edited by mkassab; December 21st, 2010 at 04:09 AM.