Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Closed due to snow

Quote Originally Posted by arrowdriver View Post
    Well regardless of the weather in southern CA,it is still California and the drawbacks outweigh the advantages. Far too many Californians.
    Well..... how do I answer that............ First, we are in Northern California, same state but quite different in many ways. Second, the weather is great here most of the time, if you like the snow it is close by, if you like the beach it is also close by, if you don't like either there is a place for you as well. As far as too many Californians your right, but a better term would be too many people, as the number of legal "Californians" (native or legally transplanted from elsewhere) is debatable. The drawbacks you mentioned are more so now than when I came here in 1989 but I am too rooted here now to make any major change any time soon. So don't believe all that you hear about California it's still a pretty good place to be.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Quote Originally Posted by RJacobsen View Post
    Well..... how do I answer that............ First, we are in Northern California, same state but quite different in many ways. Second, the weather is great here most of the time, if you like the snow it is close by, if you like the beach it is also close by, if you don't like either there is a place for you as well. As far as too many Californians your right, but a better term would be too many people, as the number of legal "Californians" (native or legally transplanted from elsewhere) is debatable. The drawbacks you mentioned are more so now than when I came here in 1989 but I am too rooted here now to make any major change any time soon. So don't believe all that you hear about California it's still a pretty good place to be.

Many parts of the world are like that, wonderful except for all the people. Not to knock California as I'm sure it was close to paradise 50 years ago but sure seems to be growing a lot of warts faster than many other places. I have family living in San Diego so have first hand accounts of that place and have travelled and visited the rest of the state and agree that parts are magnificant such as Yosemite in May, Lassen in summer, Tahoe etc, just too damned many people. I do recall a few years ago getting weather bound in Redding when flying our own plane and trying to get north past Shasta, we rented a car and toured that area enjoying the scenery and hospitality very much so won't knock it too much. Each place has it's advantages and drawbacks, only you can determine what matters most. In your case having been there for over 20 years, I'm sure your roots get pretty deep, just like mine in Calgary where I've been for almost 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by arrowdriver View Post
    In your case having been there for over 20 years, I'm sure your roots get pretty deep, just like mine in Calgary where I've been for almost 40 years.
    Yeah with the kids growing up here and now grandchildren a move out of here is not in the picture, although we have talked about it given the current situation. My wife and I are both from Western Montana and still have family there but now we are the patriarch and matriarch of the California Jacobsen's so I hope that someday my great grandchildren will say we did the right thing.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

I had to look up just where Roseville is and realize I have flown almost right over you in our Piper Arrow on the way in and out of Mather airport, the former B52 base there.

I do envy you on having grandkids living nearby, ours are in San Diego and another coming to our son and his wife who live about 400 miles east of us in Saskatoon, none of our offspring living near us. Funny thing is that the couple in Saskatoon, a nice little city, are much more content with where they live than the couple in San Diego, regardless of the difference in the weather.