Thread: cable actuated clutch

cable actuated clutch

I was never satisified with the hydraulic master/slave clutch set up, so I fabricated and installed my own version of cable actuation. Initially, I ran the long 3-finger pressure plate and toploader 4-speed. Later converted to TKO600 and diaphram pressure plate. I encountered problems with the hydraulic system in both applications. Mechanical alignment was good, but the Wilwood master and slave would develop leaks after a short time in operation. I am really pleased with the cable actuated clutch thus far. It requires about the same operating pedal pressure as the hydraulic set up. I installed the same system in my wifes Falcon in 2004, have driven many miles, and never had to adjust the cable or perform any maintenance. I do not have a lot of miles on the new Cobra installation yet, but will have it fully proven out by this years Homecoming. Here's a few pics to show you my installation.Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cable clutch7 008.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	2542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cable clutch7 010.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	2543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cable clutch7 011.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	2544  

Thumbs up Nice!

Although, once sorted out, the hydraulic setup in my car has been trouble-free I have kinda always thought the cable setup would be more positive in it's action. The 3550 I have is a balky-shifting beast, and power-shifting with the hydraulic is well nigh impossible. Like your approach. Great idea!
    Yeehah

Real nice installation.

-Geary

Very nice work. My first cobra had a mechanical clutch. Had a steel bar that dropped down and lever that connected to clutch arm. How did you modify the petal? Any pics? Where did you get the cable? You know how it is, we always want more info.

cable actuated clutch

I used the same Wilwood pedal assembly as the brake (#340-1285). The multi-bolt mount and configuration works for my application. I removed the balance bar for mounting of the cable bracket. I purchased the cable, fork, pivot stud, and throw-out bearing from Modern Drive Line. I'll have more info for those interested at the Homecoming this year. Right now I need some CLUTCH TIME (pardon the pun). Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up Looks better in person!

Gary stopped by to show off his trick new cable clutch setup once he had it finished. It looks even better in person! Great job Gary
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear