Thread: stuck in 3rd

Question stuck in 3rd

my tremec tko is stuck in third gear. My friend is doing some paint work for me and was taking the car off the trailer. He bcked off in reverse no problem and pullued forward in first with no problem. he stopped the car, put it in neutral, shut off the motor and then put it in third. When he went to move the car into his shop he could not get it to shift out of 3rd. he has tried a little rocking of the car, driving up a bit in 3rd, giving the shifter a tap or two.
    NOTHING
    I may have to pull the shifter and most likely the whole trans.
    Any suggestions on the possible problem and how to best fix it.

Wink

How old/new is your car? I had a similar problem, but with a Ford top loader. Turns out that the plunger rod on the clutch slave cylinder was too short (manufacturer changed designs and did not let anyone know). Unique changed the rod to a longer one and trans shifts fine now. I took delivery last September.

Just something you might want to check before a lot of disassembly work.
    Dennis M. Swann

trans only has about 3500 miles clutch is disengaging fine.

Call the guys at Standard Trans in Ft Worth Tx, they are one of the largest Tremec dealers and will know what to do, 800-783-8726

I had a 66 AustinHealey Sprite, rebuilt motor and when put back together everytime I would wind it up in first and go to second, it would stay stuck in first. Had to use a hammer to knock it out. Problem was the transmission shaft that goes into back of flywheel is part of the first and reverse gear slider. Apparently when the trans was pushed into place on back of motor, the small brass bushing (about size of 1/2" copper pipe) that goes into hole in crankshaft was binding and causing the shaft and thus grear to lock up.
    Yours could be stuck between gears or in two gears at once.
    Bob

This might be to simple - have you checked the shifter linkage?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Tremecs have a built in shifter, I remember them having a problem hanging up in gear after trailering. We always leave the car out of gear when trailering.

Right- no external linkage. sounds like this is a common problem just type in a internet search for tremec stuck in gear. lots of diffrent forums etc. The guy at standard trans was not able to suggest any quick fixes. he suggested sending the trans in to be worked on, he did say he would cut me a break on labor if it turned out to be someting simple. for now i have to wait until my car is done being recleared color sanded and buffed.
    On a side noteI am thinking of painting the side pipes black with VHT paint, anyone have any input, my ceramic coating looks bad it wo'nt buff to a shine and is starting to rust in the grooves where the 4 pipes run next to each other

Alan- were you able to unstick the trans on the cars you had problems with?