Thread: Hi, I just bought a unique 289 FIA

Hi, I just bought a unique 289 FIA

Hi,
    I just bought a 289 Fia, it will be delivered in about two weeks. I have been actively looking for about a year when I saw an add on club cobra, it was love at first sight. I have very few mechanical skills but I love to learn. Any Advice is welcome. Paul "Slither" envited me to come over to the unique forum so here I am.

I live in Northern California with my wife Karen, my two boys, Milo and Levi (7 & 4) and our dog Lucy. We own a couple martial art schools and I compete in jiu jitsu and mma. My wife is a bit dumbfounded by my new cobra obsession , but is slowly coming around.

Pual has been extremely helpful and kind, so I figured if he says this is the place to be then this is the place to be.

Best regards,
    Mike V

Mike:

Welcome to the forum, you will find it a great place to find answers to questions that will come up. Tell us about the FIA you bought.

Where in Northern California do you live?

Stan
    427 Roadster #4279465
    Dutton Performance FE
    3:54/Tremec TKO 600
    Benicia, CA

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the madness. It would be helpful to know where in N. Ca you are located. There are a couple FIA owners nearby - one in particular is Rod Jacobsen. He has done amazing things with and FIA car he bought and brought back to life. He will probably weigh in here and hopefully direct you to some of the things he has done with his car. There is also a NorCal cobra group that gets together once a month for breakfast and a drive.

Again, welcome!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Picture of my 289

My pictures are on my club cobra gallery. I will upload them when I am in my computer, I can't do it on my iPad.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/album.php?albumid=785

1994 289 fia, 302

Thanks,
    Mike v
    Last edited by Mike V; June 4th, 2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Wrong info

A very nice looking car. I see it is an "out-of-state" car. Are you familiar with the California DMV requirement?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Cars and Dogs

You will find the people very helpful. Been working on mine for a few years now, held up with a few things including a vacum cleaner and a windsheild, really!

Our Lucy is a blue heeler, biggest love hate situation with a dog I've ever had, her brother Charlie too.

Pgermond: it is titled in Arizona 1963 Shelby, I don't believe CA will believe that for a second. I expect to go through the sb100 gauntlet. I have read info on club cobra, I believe several trips to the DMV, chp check, smog, and a lot of administrators who don't usually work with specialy created vehicles. I expect a lot of frustration, I plan to stay calm and focussed with eyes on the prize. All tips and advice from anyone who has been through the process is appreciated.

Diegokid: Lucy was treated like our first born, when the boys came it was a bit of a shock, but she is fourteen and still going strong.

Stan: I live in San Anselmo, Marin County, Ca
    Last edited by Mike V; June 4th, 2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Adding info

Hi Pgermond,
    You mentioned Rob Jacobson has done some great things to his 289 FIA, I tried to search his name to find out what sort of things he did with his car, but the search function did not list any info. What is his Unique Forum name?

Thanks,
    Mike v
    Last edited by Mike V; June 4th, 2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
    Hi Pgermond,
    You mentioned Rob Jacobson has done some great things to his 289 FIA, I tried to search his name to find out what sort of things he did with his car, but the search function did not list any info. What is his Unique Forum name?

Thanks,
    Mike v

RJacobsen...............
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Hey Mike!

Mike you seem like a very gracious individual. Glad you finally made it over here. This is the place to be for Unique owners. There is a wealth of info on the Unique cars here. You can read about Rod's build in his member forum titled "The Flintstone Cobra," and here is the link for ya:

http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57

This is a great bunch of guys, and they'll help you however and as much as they can. You won't find the same attitudes and egos over here that you see on the other site.

So, ask away... and welcome to the group. We're glad to have you join up!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

It's been a while since I assembled my car but my impression is that if your car has already been assembled, registered, and driven in another state for over 6 months you shouldn't have to go thru SB100 here in Kalifornia. Do your homework before you go to DMV.

Phil Souza

Thumbs up

Mike,

Welcome to the family and forum. Looks as if you picked up a nice car. Is it a turnkey or did the previous owner build it? There is a wealth of information on the Unique Forum, not to mention how helpful Maurice and Alan Weaver are.

Owning a Cobra was a 35-year dream of mine. So when buying a replica became a reality in 2000, I did lots of research, reading, and phone calls and Unique came out on top.

I know you will enjoy the car and the people.
    Dennis M. Swann

The last used car I sold to a guy in Cali took his bill of sale along with the out of state title and had no problem, I would try that first and what ever you do don't ask a bunch of questions, that will open the flood gates! Go in like you are titling any old used car and you should be OK.