Thread: 289 Moving side exhaust to under roller panel

289 Moving side exhaust to under roller panel

Hi,
    I am interested in adjusting my side pipes so they run under my roller panel and exit just in front of the rear wheel. Paul was giving me help with the idea, but I wanted open the discussion to the forum. I have two motivating factors 1) I don't want to burn my fast moving, inquisitive four year old and 2) I like the esthetics, it seems more period correct.

Questions:
    Will I need new headers and exhaust pipes, or can a good exhaust shop adjust them some how?
    Will I need to add a large amount of heat shielding?
    Is there a good reason why as far as function of the car that I should not do this?

Any advice is appreciated,
    Thanks
    Mike V

Cool

I suggest that you talk to Mike Fields since he did this to his FIA. He also built new side pipes that are the same diameter for entire length.
    Dennis M. Swann

Thanks Dennis,
    Do you know Mike fields user name?

Thanks again for the tip,
    Mike v

ceramic

Mike,

Someone has a 289 car with "undercar sidepipes" like you describe, but I don't know who. They were at Homecoming a year or two ago; the car is done up in USRRC form instead of FIA if anyone can help. The sidepipes are well under the car.

You shouldn't see any heat issues if you do the black ceramic coating on the pipes. That's what we did on my undercar/street exhaust, and I have noticed no heat increase over the original sidepipes.

Hope this helps!

ZACH
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Zach, thanks for the tips. Ceramic coating makes sense.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Mike goes by 4deuces, and he has posted in the Parts for sale forum a couple of times... his phone number is in there somewhere.

Maurice and Alan can help as well... 256-546-3708
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Thanks Paul. I will give them a call.
    Happy father's day!

Juannone had a FIA built with under car exhaust. I do believe he needed different headers. You can probably find photos of his car in the current gallery or in the older archived gallery at this link (http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/juanone/).

Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

You would have to alter the headers and change the side pipe mounts, your cars exhaust is pretty old so cutting and rewelding is probably not an option.

Patrick: thanks for the info, and the link

Alan: wow, having info coming from the person (or family) who made my car is very special, thank you for taking the time to give the great insight.