Thread: 4th of July Parade - Thoughts on Overheating

4th of July Parade - Thoughts on Overheating

I haven't posted in awhile - car has been running fine.

I have the opportunity of driving the Cobra in the 4th of July Parade. About 3 miles at idle speeds. More than slightly concerned about overheating if the weather turns out to be hot (has been mostly cool in Chicago so far). Looking for thoughts on anything you think has been helpful in keeping the car running cool. Water Wetter recommendaions - hole in thermostat....anything would be helpful.

Dave

Short list Dave....
    First, make sure the coolent system is full and burped of all air.
    A good CFM rated fan and a shroud if you have time.
    Turn up the curb idle adjust to let the water pump move the coolant faster.
    Keep it in the lowest gear to keep the rev's up.
    Forget about the hole in the thermostat, it will be fully open anyhow.

Water wetter is a good idea too.

The hole is suggested so trapped air in the head/intake will pass through to allow coolant to take it's place when you replace the coolant (cold engine). After the system is full, and air burped out, it's done it's job.

Oh, and carry a rabbit's foot, lucky charm, cross your fingers and say a prayer

Have fun
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Dave,

Jim's advice is right on. Dad regularly drives his car in parades. Back with the old 302, it never broke a sweat. With the built 383 stroker, well... If you have an FE, I would advise against even attempting a mid-summer parade unless you have the additional SPAL puller fan installation. Lack of airflow is the chief enemy.

A few items to add to Jim's list, including some contingency items in case you do overheat:

1) Bleed your clutch and brakes before you go. With old or contaminated fluid, you can boil your hydraulics even before the engine temp gets out of hand. If you overheat and shut down, you also stand a really good chance of boiling hydraulics as the engine continues to radiate heat after shutdown and complete loss of engine compartment airflow. If temps in the parade are high, I'd recommend bleeding afterward as well for safety. (Wilwood high-temp DOT 3 helps stave off boiling issues.)

2) Water. At least a couple of gallons stuck in the trunk, but a pump-up garden sprayer stuck in the passenger footwell is top notch. If you do overheat, keep the car running while drizzling this cool water over the radiator to cool down quickly and safely; this beats the temperature spike you create by simply killing the motor. Water can also be sprayed or poured over master cylinders and hard lines on your hydraulics. Just don't spray or pour on the engine due to thermal shock issues.

3) Water Part 2. This means water or sports drinks for the driver/passenger! Remember to keep yourself hydrated and cool. The parade probably isn't that long. But you also have to drive to the staging area, kill time in the staging area, deal with the crowds and traffic snarls afterwards, and then drive home.

4) Blocking hood slightly open. We've never done this, but I've been told that propping the backside of the hood open an inch or two with foam rubber blocks helps cooling in low-speed applications. Makes sense, but wouldn't look all that great.

5) Have fun! Don't put yourself under pressure to make the parade. If it turns out brutally hot that day and you're feeling "iffy" about it, drive the car down to a shady spot on the parade route and have a good time as a spectator. You'll have plenty of admirers just stop by where you're parked, I guarantee you!

(Dad loves parades. One year we did three Christmas parades in one day with their Cobra, swapping out drivers. At one in a neighboring town, I drove and Mom rode shotgun. Unknown to us, Dad had wandered down amongst the crowd, and struck up conversation, telling some people how "he had made up his mind to get a kiss from one of the beauty queens in this parade." So, as I unwittingly drive by in the parade, he comes barrelling out of the crowd and just lays one on Mom and the crowd roared. I dang near drove into the float in front of me!)

Hope this helps, and have a great 4th!

ZACH
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Jim and Zach,

Thanks for the thoughts. Do have the SPAL fan (and the pushers) - planning on running them all parade. Parade is small town - like I said - only 3 miles - downhill the first couple so plan on gliding. Mostly tree covered so hoping for some shade as well. Going to try a test run next week.

Do have the 406 FE from SA. Overheating hasn't been a problem unless stuck at a long light on a hot day.

I have a 69 Conv Mustang as backup so, if the Cobra gets me nervous planning on switching on parade day (depending on the heat). Musltang looks good but Cobra is just too cool.

Going to get the brakes and clutch bleed with the change of coolant - use the high-temp stuff already but it should be changed - adding the water wetter before the test run this weekend.

Love he garden sprayer - could use to spray the folks I know on the parade route - will fill wth Ice Water would seem a good idea.

Thanks guys - any other suggestions (whose water wetter do you like) would be more than welcome - will report back after test run.

Dave

Hi Dave,
    I hope all is well with you. I know this advice is pretty basic, but I've been experimenting the past few years with the coolant to distilled water ratio I use in the interest of keeping things cool in hot weather. I'm no expert for sure, but I'm currently running 4 parts water to 1 part coolant this summer (along with a bottle of Water Wetter), and my temp stays stable at 180 to 190 degrees even on the hottest of days in slow traffic. My motor is an SA 351W with a 180 degree thermostat.

Dick Untch

Survived

Forgot to post - I did survive the parade - but barely. Zach's garden sprayer saved my butt.

Story of the parade - Of course - day of parade heats up - we were 38 in line and unfortunately that required idling to the start. Hit about 210 before even kicking off the parade. Had my "Roundup" sprayer of ice water to spray in the front - would drop about 10 degrees off every time I had him spray the radiator. Did it about every 10 minutes for the 1 hour parade.

Of course the sprayer broke on the back half of the parade - and I had to watch the temperature creep through the 220 range - luckily I just got to the end of the parade in time to get up to speed and get the temp under 200. Drove home with no problems - cooled down the front with the hose before putting it away.

Pictures attached - don't know if I would do it again....was fun for one time but the stress of the temp - thanks again guys for the tips - saved me.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra - 2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	2681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra - 4th of July.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	2682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	2683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra4.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	2684