Thread: Wheel Balancing

Wheel Balancing

A couple of questions:
    When you are balancing tires what pressure do you have in them? the 20-22psi running pressure or recommended full pressure amount?
    Dynamic or static balance? Seeing how we all put weights on the inside only I believe it is static.
    For those of you running the "big brakes" there is only a 1/2 inch on the inside outer edge to place weights because of the clearance. Is this where are placing them? We are using a Hunter road force balancer.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Mine are always at 24/psi..... don't have any answers for your other questions.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Scott I really don't think that a few pounds will affect wheel balance to any degree. As long as you have sufficient pressure to mount the rim and keep the tire stable you're probably OK. I was running 21 pounds front and 23 pounds rear for years. Last year I jacked the pressures to 24/30 (F/R) for crisper handling. I will be mounting new tires soon and will have them dynamic balanced, as before, at running pressures. I have my tires balanced with tape weights in the back only as close to centerline as possible. Make sure that you locate a tire shop that has a good experience base working with larger casings on wider wheels.

- Geary