Thread: My 289 FIA was delivered

My 289 FIA was delivered

I turned the key....

It roared!!!

This was not a car. It was a beast, no, a fire breathing dragon. It far exceeded my expectations in beauty and ferocity. This is totally different then I expected. I had been told, I had been warned, but nothing prepares you.

As I drove around the block, it spoke to me, "Respect me or I will kill you, I am not your friend, I am a warriors steed." I felt resolved to the task of learning to ride such a monster.

Then my Father in law informed that the brake lights were not working.....bummer! I circled back and came in for a landing.

So my question to you learned dragon riders, is this an easy fix?

be well,
    Mike V

Check to see if the brake light wires came loose on the switch, it is located behind the front suspension on the drivers side, it has 3 lines going in to a tee fitting with the switch on top. If the wires are still connected it probably has a bad switch, part # SLS27 by Standard.

Thanks Alan

Alan, very patiently, guided me to the probable fix this morning by phone. Much Thanks! Off to the auto parts store.

Mike V

Pictures please

Please post pictures, we gots to see!!!

I replaced the stop light switch, but it still doesn't work. My wife was meeting me with the kids in Lake Tahoe, she came down with a migraine so I jumped in the car regardless of the lights and used my hand signals and turned on the headlights when slowing down. A bit reckless, I admit, but wow, what a great 90 mile ride. The Sierra scenery in a Cobra is breath taking. Also, mergeing with authority takes a whole no meaning. I love my car. Everything just feels right. Thank you Weaver family for making such an amazing car.

The only new problem is that when I down shift from 3rd to 2nd on an incline it pops out when I don't give a little gas. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen a lot.

Any insight will be appreciated.

With respect,
    Mike

Ps
    I only brought my iPhone so pictures will take a week

Mike, I sent you a PM with my ph #. I have several ideas.

Talk soon, Mark
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Mike,

Where are you located?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

out west somewhere.... Mountain Time zone I'd think
    Last edited by mkassab; July 9th, 2011 at 04:10 AM.
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I am in Donner lake near lake Tahoe for the next three days. I live San Anselmo CA. However, the repair will have to wait. My wife came down with a kidney infection. First things first.

Thanks again, I will get back with the repair when she is on the mend.

Mike V

Mike V,

Have you made contact with the Bay Area Cobra Club yet?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Mike, I bought one of the older ones that was built in 1989 though it had been sitting a lot in Nashville in a storage locker and only had acccumulated about 4000 miles total. It's a 427 but likely might have much the same electrical system which includes one of those trailer light adapters. Mine was burnt out and when I checked the specs I wasn't suprised since it was overloaded with the double brake-tail lights on each side. I bought a new one and wired it in, then to prevent the same failure replaced one of the brake-tail light bulbs with a LED one to reduce the load on the adapter. The adapter in mine is behind the instrument panel and looks like a rectangular piece with wires coming out of each end. Your local auto parts store can help you find the right replacement one if this is the problem. I'd start by checking the power in and out of the brake light switch and then follow the circuit till you find the defect.

My wife was just admitted to the hospital for a very serious kedney / bladder infection. I will not be on the forum until she is discharged. Thank you for your help.

Mike

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Sorry to hear about your wife, Mike. Hope all goes well for your family tonight. We'll say a little prayer for a recovery that is even faster than your new Cobra! Keep us posted...

A couple of thoughts on the lights... when you do get back to the car.

I don't think the 289 used the trailer adapter. Alan can verify that. Did you check the bulbs? Two going out at once is unlikely... but stranger things have happened.

Also, if the bulbs check good, use a multi-meter (if you do not yet have one, time to get one) and check to see if you get 12v at the light socket (when pedal is pressed). If not, then follow it back to the switch, etc. If 12v is present, then check for a good ground back there. That should get you going.

Good luck!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Many thanks for all the helpful advice for fixing my FIA, and the prayers for my wife's recuperation. I am happy to say she is out of the hospital and on the mend. i am looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and getting to work this weekend providing she is up to looking after our monkeys (4 and 7 year old boys) for a little bit.

Thanks again for all the help.
    mike v

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    That's good to hear, Mike! Glad things are better.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Well an update. I traced things back and couldn't find a short. Fuses were fine. I decided to take it to a mechanic. It turns out, the brake fluid was soo low it wouldn't register the brake light. To be honest the brakes seemed sluggish, which was one of the reasons I took it in.

I want to learn how to fix my car myself but, brakes I will leave to someone who knows what there doing.

He also showed me where there was a leak in the master brake cylander.

Anyway the car is fantasticaly fun.

Be well,
    Mike V