Thread: tach with MSD ignition

tach with MSD ignition

There's only one thing that doesn't work as well as it should and that is the tach which is very sluggish in it's response to engine rpm changes. It's a SW tach connected to the tach connection of the MSD ignition box. Is there a modification or such needed to get this to work better? Sure would appreciate the advice of all those here a lot smarter than me on this stuff which i suspect is most of you.

It may be the tach, how old is your car?

I was wondering about that too Alan. This is the car you built in 1989 and drove for three years. It had a 428 in it then but got a 427 transplanted into it in 91. Lee Hurley told me a bit about the history of it after you sold it.

My money would be on a slow tach. That was our demo car, red and white?

That's the one Alan.

I'll pull the tach out and see if it can be lubricated to free up the mechanism.

Lee Hurley recalls the car very well too. He filled me in on the story leading to the installation of the 427. Apparently the fellow you sold it to was a professor in Nashville who had been diagnosed with brain cancer and therefore wasn't able to take the time to finish his own Cobra so convinced you to sell him a running car. It seems he wasn't the most capable driver as he blew the engine within about 20 miles, likely missed a shift or something. Lee had an engine that was in a small boat so sold that one to the professor. He delivered the car to Nashville the evening before the surgery and the prof got to drive it for an hour or so the next morning but as far as Lee knew, never again. I have a few more names of owners etc but no detail on the car after that till the guy I bought it from got it. It accumulated according to the odometer fewer than 5000 miles from new till I got it about 4 years ago.