Thread: MSD Box Buzzing

MSD Box Buzzing

On return trip from Vintage weekend at limerock Raceway I notice a buzzing noise that got pretty loud. I almost the thought it was the heater blower malfunctioning! I traced it down to the MSD box with a mechanics stethoscope. I called MSD and they said there was no moving parts and this was normal. I have owned this car for five years and this is first time i have had this issue
    Any ideas? I don't want to get stranded.
    Thanks... Dave
    Last edited by davids2toys; September 7th, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

If its a 6al, I have one that the back cover is off of and there is nothin inside but what looks like a small capacitor and a printed board with some small chips,etc. Not a electronic guy but not much in it to buzz. Just my .02

If you Google MSD forums, there are all kinds of people with similar problems. They are offering to replace the transformers, they claim it is the fins vibrating???
    My problem is that it gets louder and louder the longer the car is operated and it just started after 5 years of quiet. Since my MSD box is inside the car, it is extra noisy and aggravating! I am also worried about getting stranded
    Last edited by davids2toys; September 7th, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.