Thread: MGB steering rack play.

MGB steering rack play.

Hi guys

Any gurus or others familiar with the workings of the MGB rack and pinion? On inspecting my front suspension about a year ago, I found that the rubber boot on the left side (its a right hand drive rack) of the steering rack had torn right at the inner end and was riding back and forth on the tie rod. Since it was near the end I was able to squirt some grease in and reattach it using a couple of tie wraps.

It eventually worked its way off again and now I have some play in the steering. Only with the steering centered, I can turn the steering wheel to the left a good 2.5 inches before the wheels start to move. Turning to the right there is no play at all.

This does not noticeably affect the steering at all when driving except during a transition from turning right to turning left. As the steering wheel crosses center, there is a split second of looseness in feel as it takes up the play.

Standing next to the car with the hood open, I can turn the steering and see that there is no play in the shaft or u-joints, but turning left from dead center, I can see the left tie rod move upwards slightly before it starts moving the wheel. Turning the steering wheel back and forth in the "play zone" makes the left tie rod move up and down about 2 inches in total travel.

My car has the factory coil over front suspension. Is this likely an adjustment issue, a replaceable worn part or do I need to order a whole new rack?

PS: the tie rod end on that side looks like it needs replacing as well - the rubber is torn. Could that be the culprit?

There is no shimmying or steering vibration at any speed.
    Last edited by Buzz; October 11th, 2011 at 10:01 AM.
    Tropical Buzz

Buzz, we had a similar problem with a rack several months back and couldn't find the problem, I would recommend replacing it as we did. We buy our racks from Moss Motors and they usually stock right hand racks.

Alan

Thanks Alan. Turned out it was a combination of really poor workmanship when I had it aligned, loose jam nuts and a slack inner tie rod bushing on the left side. Got it all tightened up and went out for a test drive. It ran beautifully, but then my radiator sprung a big leak halfway down the outlet tank where it was apparently rubbing against the lip on the forward part of the inner fender.

Fortunately I was parking at the time it began to leak so it never overheated and I was able to let it cool and dash home later with a half empty (half full?) radiator. So now, after finally getting my dual fan setup all properly installed and wired, I have to pull the whole thing out and see if I can get someone down here to repair the leak.

Still happy though - the Cobra is looking and running better than it ever has, and now that I pretty much know it inside out, I really don't mind fixing these little mishaps.
    Tropical Buzz

Good news.