Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Father's personal request...

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Unhappy Father's personal request...

I would like to ask those of you who are faithful to remember us in your petitions as we face a serious illness with my 11yr old son James. Without going into too much detail, he has been pretty sick for the last three months. After almost a month of on and off sickness and a few trips to the pediatrician, he was diagnosed with subacute bacterial endocarditis and immediately went into the hospital. He ended up on six weeks of antibiotics, which tore his gut up pretty bad, had a bad reaction to one of the drugs, and ended up in the hospital again.

Now over seven weeks later, he was scheduled for open-heart surgery on Wednesday this week, as the right side of his heart is failing, but he was diagnosed with a pretty bad opportunistic intestinal bug today (because of the previous antibiotic therapy), which caused a delay in a much needed cardiac surgery.

From day one they haven't even been able to handle his case around here, so he's been over in New Orleans for treatment each time and for the surgery. Just got back home from seeing him today. His spirits are remarkably good considering the situation. He is a little trooper, keeping his head up as best he can while getting jabbed and stuck as much as he is.

He is in the red shirt on my left in this photo... http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...cticing+future

Please, I'd be eternally grateful if you'd say a little prayer for him and for us... Thanks!
    Last edited by Slither; October 18th, 2011 at 12:54 AM.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Consider it done Paul, including prayers and best wishes to you and the rest of the family as you are all suffering in this bout of misfortune.

I'd also like to congratulate you on raising a brave and tough young man - it shows courage and character that he even tries to keep his spirits up while enduring what he's going through.

Stay strong, and all the best.
    Tropical Buzz

Paul, we put James on our prayer list at church, please keep us posted.

Alan

Paul,

James is on my personal prayer list and will be on my Sunday School Class Prayer List as soon as I can get the info to our teacher.

God bless you all!
    Dennis M. Swann

Paul:

James and the rest of your family will be in our prayers.

Stan
    427 Roadster #4279465
    Dutton Performance FE
    3:54/Tremec TKO 600
    Benicia, CA

Paul,
    I can't imagine anything more terrible than having to go through what you and your family are dealing with right now. Prayers and best wished are coming from us to James, you and the whole family.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Paul, I've been praying for James and your family since I read the post.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Prayers and best wishes for your boy and family.

-Geary

Paul,

Your family and especially James will be in my prayers.

Jer
    Jer

Very sorry to hear about your son. James and your family will be kept in our prayers.
    Jeff

Unique 427 S/C #4279451
    Survival Motorsports FE482
    4 Speed Toploader (Nascar close ratio)

We're all with you, Paul......

He will be spoken of to my maker several times each day from here on, until he's terrorizing his little brother and folks again. Then the prayers change to gifts of wisdom.

Hang on, pal. We have been where you are when our (then) 25 yr. old son had his motorcycle accident. We did the same - asked folks to pray for him - and believe that is what kept him alive.

You pull for him here on the planet, and all of the rest of us will be pulling for the higher help. Stay strong, buddy.
    Yeehah

Prayers

Paul, we are so sorry to hear about James. Thoughts and prayers, for strength and healing, are being said for you, your family and James. Please keep us posted.

Pat Quattro and Family

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you!

Quick update... we got him home temporarily a few days ago... the intestinal bug postponed the surgery until the 31st, but within 24hrs of posting this thread he was doing some better. He is now eating better and gaining some weight back, which means he'll go into it with more strength. Bug seems to be gone (fingers crossed).

Please keep up the "good work" and I'll update in a few days...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Exclamation Countdown...

OK, he is in New Orleans tonight, and had some diagnostic work to see if he is ready to go. They'll look at it in the morning and make the final decision go/no-go. I brought little brother and Grandma back to MS, but we'll head over there in a few hours to see him off to the O.R. He should be in surgery around 7:30-8AM, and they say it could take 7hrs or so...

I'll try to let you all know something in the next few days. In the meantime keep the faith, and thanks again!
    Last edited by Slither; October 30th, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Paul, just reading this after talking with you on the phone, absolutely will keep him in my thoughts and prayers!
    Just take it one day at a time and try not to over think as we talked about.
    Tell him we are all thinking of him
    Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Paul,
    When your child is this sick it is a raw ache that envelopes your entire life. I am truely sorry your family is faced with this challenge. My heart and prayers are with you, your brave son and your family.

Mike V & Family

Thumbs up Positive news

I just got back home from the hospital, and had a really nice visit with my son. He is doing much better! He had a rough first few days. He did have what appears to be an active infection in the tissue they replaced in his heart, so he will be on another month of antibiotics, but his white count is coming down, his vitals are stable, and he got off of the vent on Thursday and got his chest-tubes (surgical drainage) out today. He was able to get out of bed to walk half-way across the room and stand on his own! Thank you so much for your prayers. Still could use a few... he's still in CICU, but appreciate what you've done!
    Last edited by Slither; November 6th, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Great news Paul, keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post
    Great news Paul, keep us posted!
    Ditto I was reading this thread last night and was wondering how things were going.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Very good to hear Paul...nothing but up from here hopefully
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.