Thread: Exhausts leak

Exhausts leak

Hey guys,
    I have a 351W and am having leaks in the last part of the exhaust closest in to the firewall. I changed the gasket out and got some red silicone and put the exhaust headers back on, but there is still an exhaust leak in both the last cylinders. What do I do???? Help???

V/R

Brad

The paper style exhaust gaskets seam to burn out at the rear of engine. I looked at a copper one but the ports were rounded in the corners and not square like my heads. I ended up getting an aluminum exhaust gasket from Mr. Gasket. They fit perfect and have square cut holes. Had to re-tighten bolts a couple times but no problem.
    Bob

you may also want to try going to an allen head bolt. the regular hex haed bolts are so close to the header you really can't get a wrench on them. any good steel reinforced gasket should hel,p sealant will just get cooked and blown out by the exhaust pressure.

I moved to copper gaskets and have never regretted it.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Copper Gaskets

Since the engine upgrade 12,000 miles ago I'm having exhaust gasket failures on about an annual cycle (FelPro's). I attended Bruce Larsons Drag-Fest last week end and talked to some of the drag racers there. Several recommended copper gaskets with the qualifier that they be annealed prior to installation. I understand annealing aluminum to soften it for metalworking as working it will compact and toughen the aluminum. I didn't get any definitive answers to the physics behind annealing copper gaskets except that in a dead-soft state the copper seals better.

Any thoughts on annealing copper exhaust gaskets??

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; November 16th, 2011 at 07:24 PM.

Since the question posted above I found an ad for Annealed Ford FE Gaskets.
    I clipped it and added it below.

Annealed Copper Exhaust Gaskets for Ford 352-427 FE
    Soft Copper Header Gaskets for Ford 390-427 FE. The port location in this gasket (for passenger vehicles) is higher relative to the bolts than p/n 34286. (see also p/n 4034, 4134, 4324) Gasket...
    List Price: $59.95
    Price too low to show. To see price, add item to cart.
    Compare At: $59.95

Here is the web page link.

http://www.scegaskets.com/Ford/352-4...orLanding/true

-Geary

Secret to NO LEAKS

I would be more concerned with the installation , than the gasket type you are choosing. I run FelPros on my 427 and they've worked for many years. The "secret" is you need to install on clean surfaces (head and header), tighen the best you can, turn the engine on and reach full heat temp., let cool down (cold), Here's the SECRET...... retighten. You will get a little tigher after you've been through one and even two heat cylcles. Now they are tight and not leaking. Worked for me - give it a try, just takes some time.

Interesting...

Brad - are your rearmost bolts loosening up? With my old headers, the two rear bolts on both sides would loosen up for some reason, with the passenger side being much worse about it. I have no explanation at all for it, as the bolts were easy to access and tighten. All others would stay tight as a drum.
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367