Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unique Hangout/Homecoming

Exclamation Unique Hangout/Homecoming

To All:

I know that this is being discussed over the phone, via email, Facebook, etc. amongst a lot of Unique people. So, it’s time to pull it all together into one place so we can get on the same page.

The Lowdown:
    An “official” Unique Motorcars Homecoming this year is a no-go. Mom confirmed with Maurice this morning. Times are tough, and the fact is that Homecoming takes a large amount of planning and investment by the Weavers.

The Proposal:
    We do Homecoming ourselves. Give the Weavers a chance to relax and have fun at a Unique event that they don't have to worry about pulling off. I’ve heard rumblings from Texas to Connecticut about how we want to get together. So, let’s just go on and do it.

The Essential Details:
    We’ve most all been to Homecoming at least a time or two, so we’ll stick with the usual format. There will be a few things we’ll have to wing it on. Here goes.

• Where – Gadsden, Alabama, with home base to be the Hampton Inn. (256)-546-2337
    • When – May 10 – 12. These are the typical Homecoming dates, so we’re sticking with them.

Rough schedule

Thursday night – supper at Top o’ the River. (As the date gets closer, we WILL need to get an accurate headcount so the restaurant is prepared.)

Friday daytime – to be determined. The fact is that the shop is chiefly filled with restoration work these days, not Cobras. If the Weavers choose to let us drop in at the shop for the usual show & shine time, that’s great. However… if they do so, plan to be self-sufficient. Bring a cooler with water & soft drinks for yourself & your significant other. Plan to do lunch on your own. In other words, don’t impose.

If they choose not to host a show & shine at the shop – not a problem. We’ll know beforehand and can figure out something to do. We can show off our cars in another spot, go on a cruise, go on a non-Cobra field trip, or ??? This is a creative bunch. If nothing else, Jan Tucker can give us bellydancing/zoomba/Mexican hat dance lessons!!!

Friday evening – supper plans up to you. Hangout in the Hampton parking lot afterwards.

Saturday daytime – to be determined, but a cruise of some variety.

Saturday evening – supper together somewhere (I know the venue has changed several times in the past). We’ll just need to get a headcount first thing Friday and let the restaurant know.

So, there you have it. Travel arrangements, hotel reservations, food, drink, etc. are your responsibilities. No tee shirts, no trophies, and no door prizes. Just 2 ½ days of good fellowship with the Unique family.

Feel free to cross-post this on Facebook, or email to any Unique friends you think may not check this forum regularly.

We'll work on getting counts for restaurant closer to the date.

Hope to see you there!!!
    Last edited by JeepSnake; February 14th, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Thumbs up 2012 Homecoming NOT

ZACK..........GREAT IDEA and thanks for taking the lead. I agree that it is time to let the Weaver family relax and enjoy and maybe we can all start a new annual tradition. The love of Cobras brought us together, but once you've been around awhile you realise that the friendship and fellowship are most important.

If the Weavers are interested in doing a "semi Show & Shine" and open the doors to potential new prospects, I will gladly take a day off and help cleanup the shop a little. Pushing a broom or cleaning the restroom are things I'm gualified to do.

Please keep the group posted on how things are progressing and if there is anything I can do to help!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by dmswann; February 20th, 2012 at 04:26 AM.
    Dennis M. Swann

Question Unique Owners Rally

Something to think about, could be put together easily I think.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Lightbulb Room rate...

I was planning to call the Hampton to see if I could get a special group rate for us. Just spoke with Maurice to get previous details, and he said that Alan was planning to make the arrangements.

He also mentioned that they were happy to host the group on Friday at the shop.

Maybe someone who knows the area can make a suggestion for a supper meeting place for Friday night, which could accomodate the group.

It looks like it is coming together... we should have a nice show and shine on Friday at the shop and a group hotel rate for the Homecoming!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Great Family Homecoming

If you can make it, you will never forget it. Great family, great cars, great friends, for life.

If I still had a Unique I would make it for sure. Fondest memories.

Juanone 289
    Black Tie Cobra
    Last edited by juanone; February 24th, 2012 at 04:30 AM.

Homecoming

I'm in and I have my reservation made! Can't wait!
    Sammy

Talking

I'm in....

I have to show up because I'm leaving the car for a respray.

Chris
    "Why built it if you are not going to beat on it ??"

Room Rates

I checked yesterday and the room rate for the Unique gathering is $79.00/Night at the Hampton Inn. (256)-546-2337 The person I spoke to was named Shelby - For real ..no BS.

It looks like I can clear my schedule to attend. Aggressor is running fine and I've been looking forward to a long distance cruise with her for a while now. (Consider it a 1600 mile roundtrip back adjustment ????).

- Geary

hampton

Did you check to see if perhaps the girl at Hamptions first name was Carol?

Anyway 1600 miles in a Cobra and we may need to get you the handicapped room. Naw Gumball rally ran one coast to coast non stop in what 32+ hours. Haven't watched that one in a while nothing like the sound they did with the cobra running full out through New York. Enjoy your trip plan to see you there.

As the Profit Buffett said " I'd rather die while I'm livin that live while I'm dead"

rw

Just checked into the Hampton for Thursday-Saturday nights.

For the head count add two. I'm bring a friend. He has interest in a future Unique build and this is his opportunity to hitch a ride South to see Unique's Facilities.

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; March 9th, 2012 at 10:26 AM.

BUMP

Got to keep this on the front page. GO ZACH!!!
    MIKE DEL

Your Warranty Voided Here...If you can't open it, it's not yours.

289 USRRC, 357 Magnum Windsor

Zack,

How many people have signed up? I've made my reservations. See you on 10 May.

Jer
    Jer

Talking Not-Homecoming Event

I have a list of all the people who signed up in 2010 that Joan could not contact via email. I searched the internet and got phone numbers for everyone. I just have not had time to start calling them. I will start calling this evening!!!!!
    Dennis M. Swann

I talked to Susan at Hampton Inn and they had around 15 as of last week. She said she thinks some called the 800 number or booked online so they were not counted. I talked to a few who said they were coming but have not booked a room yet, we also have a few locals that don't stay in a hotel.

BUMP

To keep on first page.
    MIKE DEL

Thumbs up

bump

to keep on front page
    MIKE DEL

Who's attending

Not much activity on this thread. I wonder who's attending?
    Jer

Thumbs up Unique Hangout/Homecoming

I plan to be there Thursday evening through Sunday morning. Betty plans to attend at least Friday evening and Saturday. I have a 3-night reservation at the Hampton Inn.
    Dennis M. Swann

We have 60 people on the list as of now!

So does 60 people equate to about 40 cars?
    Dennis M. Swann