Thread: Coolant cap psi rating

Coolant cap psi rating

I have a very slight coolant drip from the one of the hose clamps connecting the top stainless steel flexible radiator hose to the suge tank (351W) on the tank end. Hose clamps are tightened as much as I feel comfortable with. I've replaced the 13psi cap on the tank and removed the cap altogether from my overflow tank, but excessive pressure seems to be building up. Next step will be to drain radiator down halfway to allow removal and reattachment of top radiator hose. Before doing that, I was wondering what the pressure rating on the tank cap should be. Is 13psi about right or should I be using one with a lower pressure rating?
    Walter

Coolant Cap

My car also has a 351W and radiator has a 15 psig cap. My overflow tank has a 15 psig cap except the rubber seal has been removed making it open to atmospheric pressure. If you do not want to drain, replace top hose, then I recommend adding coolant stop leak. There are several brands available, even at Walmart. Barrs Stop Leak is a common brand.
    Dennis M. Swann

Dennis, if you're running a 15psi, my 13 should be OK. I'll proceed with draining the radiator and checking my hose. It's a Magna Kool and should be OK, provided the rubber sleeve underneath is not pinched. thanks.