Thread: Help with alternator bracket

Help with alternator bracket

Hi

Need a little help in finding the right alternator bracket for my FIA.

What I have:
    351w, stock short Ford water pump and pulleys, 1 wire alternator.

Right now, the alternator uses a stock bottom bracket and a chrome curved bar thing with the adjustment slot going over top of the alternator. It's noticeably out of alignment.

I called March and they want me to replace all the pulleys with their kit using a serpentine belt. I would also need to replace the water pump with a Ford Racing aluminum one. And replace the 45 degree thermostat housing with 90 degree one and replace the upper radiator hose. I would prefer to NOT go that route as I'm trying to keep a "vintage" look. I was hoping to just get a better bracket.

Thanks for your help.

John

What are you guys using?

From what you're saying John, your mis-match may be the crank and or pump pulleys. Some stock pulleys had two or three belt groves, if yours has only one, you'll need to find one that matches your alternator location, or fab up your own alternator brackets (or modify the uppers) to match the other pulleys. The March stuff adds some bling, but comes with a price.... but sometimes is the easy way out if your not up to rolling your own.
    Last edited by Jim Harding; September 13th, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Question

Are you looking for the correct small block alternator bracket, or just something with the right offset? There is a reproduction of the actual 289 alternator bracket out there... don't know if it will fit the Windsor, though.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Slither:

At this point, I'll do either one. From what I've read, the 289/302 model won't work. Has to be the 351w style. But, when I check EBay, all the ads say 289-351 will work. Still confusing.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Exclamation

If you want original style, which means big $$, go over to CC and look up tnewland (I think that is the correct name). Send him a PM or email, and you can get info on the original style brackets. He just did a run of them.

The bracket bolts up to the small block head, so I know it will attach. The question is whether it will stick up too high on the Windsor setup. John should be able to advise you on that, as he does restoration work on originals. I think he had posted one for sale in the classifieds a couple of years ago... might even be able to find those photos on CC if you search. The 289 alternator was mounted high on the passenger's side of the engine. It was almost as high as the valve cover. Look online and you can see photos of it. Let me know if you have trouble finding pics, and I can help you out...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Slither.....

Thanks! I will check that out.