Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spiral Flow Side Pipes

Spiral Flow Side Pipes

Recently received my new spiral flow side pipes from Unique. I did some preliminary measuring since I won’t be ready to install these until the fall. These measurements are the new side-pipes compared to the originals pipes presently on the car. I measured from the primary (most rearward edge) to the forward edge of the first bracket, and then to the most forward edge of the rear bracket. I did this on both sides..
    On the Driver’s side I am off 5/8” for the front and 7/16’ on the rear. Also 3/8” more distance between the new brackets than the old brackets.
    On the Pass side, I am off 5/8” for the front and 3/4” on the rear. Also 1/4" less distance between the new brackets than the old brackets.

The connector piece between the primary tubes and the beginning of the baffle are also 1 3/8” longer on the new pipes

Measurement of the baffle itself (weld to weld), it is also 7/8” shorter than my original that is on the car.
    I was surprised because I thought everything would be the same considering they were built for my year car when I ordered them. I expected maybe some very small differences where I might have to slightly elongate the hole in the bracket, but these are some sizable differences and I am a little concerned. I am mainly concerned with the bracket locations, I don’t think the other stuff matters much. If anybody has run into this with no problem I would appreciate the “chime in” since I am not planning on installing these for awhile and don’t want to call Unique if I really don’t have a problem.
    Thanks…Dave
    Last edited by davids2toys; June 23rd, 2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: added text
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

What is the difference between the new and old pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by wlewis View Post
    What is the difference between the new and old pipes?
    The differences are in the original post.
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

I understand the differences in dimensions, but I don't understand what a "spiral flow" pipe is. How does it differ from your standard pipe?

Upgraded pipe from Unique. Much less restriction and more bad arse noise and HP
    Dave

No pun intended, but that sounds good.

How you been Walter?

Hanging in there. Business is decent. We're celebrating our dealership's 100th anniversary this year.

You probably feel like you've been working for 100 years!!!

Often times I do!

OK, I finally decided to get these on the car. They are way off as I had suspected they might be.
    On the driver’s side, they bolted up to the primary flange no problem at all, but the brackets seem to be in the wrong location. I have a 1/2 “ even gap rear bracket to frame and 5/8 even gap front bracket to frame. The bracket mounting hole is also 1/2” off, center to center to the hole in the frame.
    On the Passenger side. It was a lot harder to bolt up to the primary flange because the rear bracket is hitting the frame real hard. I struggled but finally got it bolted up to the flange. The rear bracket has a tapered gap to towards the rear of car, 0”-3/16”. The front bracket has a tapered gap, 1/4”- 1/8”. The taper is towards rear of car. The hole in the bracket is 7/8” off, center to center to the hole in the frame. It is just about lines up with the edge of the bracket
    -Brackets locations are too far forward on both sides.
    -The old side pipes were fine. The only mod I can see is that all bracket holes were opened up to 9/16".
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks…Dave
    Dave

it seems that the best choice would be to take them back and get another set that is fabricated correctly

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    it seems that the best choice would be to take them back and get another set that is fabricated correctly
    They were made by Unique for my car!
    Last edited by davids2toys; September 16th, 2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dave

that was kind of my point. unless your car is different from others or you provided the specs/measurements then something went wrong when they were made and i am sure unique would fix them or replace them

I get ya...
    I will give this a few days and see what kind of feedback I get before I call Unique.Alan weaver actualyy posted to this thread awhile back, but never addressed my concerns, so I am thinking, perhaps I do not have a problem at all, maybe i just need to be educated. I did not post anymore until i actually put them on the car.
    Before they were concerns because it did not look right, but now it seems like I have a definate problem?
    Dave

Does anybody have any ideas what this problem may be? Alan??
    Dave

so what's the latest?

I have been meaning to call Unique, but during the day is tough where I work. I have been so swamped lately...I hope to call Unique this week
    Dave

I talked with Maurice at Unique yesterday. Yes, I definitely do have a problem. It seems that over the years the jig at Unique has been screwed with a few times. It has three different bracket hole locations of which two were welded up. So I guess the ones they used are no good for my car that was built in 1994. To me, it is much more than just the hole, the whole bracket is mis-located approximately 1 inch to far forward, they are also all at the wrong heights creating the crazy gaps, maybe that is what he was trying to say.
    So it looks like I have to hire someone to cut off the last 3 inches off all the brackets, then weld a new longer piece going fore and aft, it will look like a flag.
    As far as the gaps go, he said to just bolt them up solid to the frame and after a few heat cycles the headers should shape themselves into position. I did voice my concerns about strain and cracking, especially on the driver’s side where I have 5/8” inch hard gap that I cannot even close it with full arm pressure. I suggested that I make and install ¼” shims here, run it for a few heating cycles, then take them out and bolt it down solid with no shims. I would rather do this than preloading it all at once. Maurice was good with that. At this point, I have no choice but to just follow his direction and hope for the best! I will go a whole season before I have them jet coated though, if they crack, I would rather not have wasted even more money.
    Now, before I get flamed for not telling Unique what year car I had, I will tell you I was 110% clear on this point because of a prior experience with other parts that did not fit my car correctly. I was assured they would be fine, I was told ” just bolt them up before I send them out to be coated just in case the holes need to be elongated to line up to the frame holes”

FYI: Per Maurice, bracket to frame bolts should be grade 8 and torqued to about 20 ft lbs.

Any additional help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks…Dave
    Dave

Dave;
    I had a similar problem with my pipes. It turned out that a combination of the AFR heads (higher exhaust ports) and those pretty red Prothane motor mounts left the gap in my flanges so wide I couldn't bolt them up. I went with stock Galaxy mounts, slotted my brackets and bolted everything together loosely, then tightened up over time. After the first heat cycle all my parts fit perfectly.
    Bill
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine