Thread: Spiral Flow Side Pipes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

side pipes

These aren't production cars, each one is just a little different. If possible the best approach is to bolt the side pipes at the collector, support them with whatever you have, locate them where they should be then bolt the brackets to your frame. Then weld the other end of the brackets to the sidepipes.

After that just the fun of sending them off to be powder coated, where they come back with dings and dents.

This is not even my car but I am frustrated to see a lack of progress in getting this issue resolved properly. while these cars are kit cars we did not receive a huge pallet of metal and rolls of fiberglass and resin and a kiss for good luck. I could see if one hole needs a little reaming etc. but having to rebuild the entire set-up or worse yet force (bend?)and stress the headers will just put undue stress on every other point of the assembly. I am really surprised that Unique is not stepping up to repair or replace these

I have a Unique car that's over 30 years old. A few years ago, I needed new rear shocks, and asked Alan for assistance. He sent a set of 4, and when I went to replace them, I found they would not fit with the springs on the car. Had to replace the springs too. Then, the upper shock mounts were too close together and the (larger diameter) springs contacted the half shaft. Had to modify them. In the end all things are smooth and the car is fine.
    I state this because I'll bet that if I sent Dave the side pipes off of 9512 that was built in '07, they wouldn't fit either. His car is almost 20 years old, and there have been little tweaks and changes made to these cars to make them better, easier to build, safer, and on and on. I didn't hold Uniques feet to the fire to come up with parts to fit my 30 year old car, and I think it's a little too much to require them to fabricate a "one off" set for Dave because of the little differences in how these pipes match to the existing mounting points.
    Like Diegokid said above, get creative and fab up what you need to make them fit.
    Last edited by Jim Harding; September 29th, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

How about this?

Why not make new brackets to match the existing frame holes and pipe mounting flanges? All you need to do is get a piece of 1/4" angle iron large enough to cover all the holes with sufficient wall. A cut off saw or cut off wheel on a grinder will do the trick. Position the pipes and match one hole at a time. Dress up the brackets with angles to get rid of unwanted material break all of the edges to give them a professional look, have them sand blasted and send them out with your pipes for coating. It should not take more than a morning to do and everything will be part specific to your new pipes and you can still drive with your old pipes and brackets until ready to install the new coated ones. It really isn't all that hard.