Thread: Brakes again

Brakes again

Rear brakes again. Rear brakes started dragging again. It seems that this only happens on longer rides and the main culprit is the drivers side rear.
    Started smelling brakes about 2 miles from the house on the way home today. When I put the car on the lift the driver brake was smoking and over 500 degrees and I couldn't make it release. Passenger side was 210. Once the brake cooled off the brake released.

I'm starting to think that the wheel cylinder is bad but why only when hot? Line pressure should bleed back off unless master cyl is bad. If that was the case the passenger side would lock also.

Diego,

Don't know if you miss-spoke when you said wheel brake cylinders, but don't you have inboard brakes? There won't be any wheel cylinders.

If you have the normal Unique/Jaguar inboard brakes, check the pistons. If they are rusted, replace them with stainless steel ones. Even a little rust on them will cause them to stick.

They are easy to replace once the calipers are removed from the car. Just use an air compressor/hose on the brake fluid connector to get the pistons out of the calipers. Careful as they will fly out so point them at your work bench when you apply the air.

Jer
    Jer

parts

Yes I meant the calipers. I've got the local parts guy trying to find new ones now, or at least a rebuild kit.