Thread: Gas tank debris

Gas tank debris

Stopped in Talladega on the way to Trussville the other day for gas. And like a DA - I dropped a 1" square piece of blue paper towel (like they sell in the auto parts stores) in the gas filler. I've run several tanks of gas through her since then. Where do you reckon that piece will end up?

Damn!
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

I don't know but you will soon find out!

hopefully in the hose you use to siphon the gas out of the tank. years ago i had a boat that would die for no apparent reason, i can't count the number of times I had to get towed back to the dock. over several seasons I repaced ignition parts, fuel pump, rebuilt carb, finally took off the fitting at the pick up tube in the gas tank, there i found a piece of electrical tapes tuck in the tube, it would act as a flapper valve when it flipped up against the inline metal screen

What kind of fitting is used where the fuel line attaches to the tank? Is it just a straight-through or is there some kind of strainer on the inside? Is there an access port anywhere on the tank?

Most times, the fuel level sender can be removed and the opening is big enough to put your hand in there. If I were you, I'd pump out all the gas first before feeling around in there.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

the tank fitting is not filtered, just a basic barbed fitting. the tank just has a pipe threaded bung.

you could remove the sending unit and use a small mirror and a flashlight.

This is too easy....... but maybe it dissolved. You might check your fuel filter between your tank and fuel pump.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Thanks Guys. It seems unlikely that a piece that small would block a tiny opening unless I was down to the last cup of gas - and that won't happen. I'd probably do more damage trying to fish it out than just forgetting about it.

Tony, take a piece of the same type towel and put it in some gas to see what happens, if it stays floating or desolves then no problem, if it sinks to the bottom then it may end up getting sucked into the fuel line and with some luck make it to the filter without blocking the line. either way you will know what to expect.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Might be a good idea to carry a spare fuel filter in case it gets sucked into it. Otherwise, I'd not worry about it as trying to get it out of the tank could be quite difficult and there's a good chance it won't cause any problem.

I had a piece of a racquet ball fall into the tank. (used a racquet ball to stop slosh out the filler on hard cornering) the piece did stop up the outflow. Could not get it out (I even installed a cage through the treaded bung to keep it from plugging) due to the baffling in the tank. Ended up replacing the tank. And yes it did stop the car at the most inappropriate of times.

Ralph, that sounds like a complete bummer - and my kind of luck. I'll just stay close to home and hope for the best.

You may try a coat hanger with a little hook bent into it and see if you can fish it out through the fuel line bung hole. Stuff like this happens and you just got to roll with it, if it was not this then something else...just to keep life interesting! ;-)

why risk a breakdown - pull the sending unit, jack up the front of the car and siphon the tank. if it is still there the siphoning will get it!