Thread: Mcleod clutch disk change

Mcleod clutch disk change

Looking for a little advice. I am running Southern Automotive super FE which produces about 515 HP. I am about to replace the disk and was unsure if I should go with a 500 or 600 series disk. The 500 has a holding force for 500HP and the 600 of course 600HP. The biggest concern is chatter and drivability. For the Mcleod owners, what are you running?

In the car today is a 100 series Mcleod disk.

thx
    phillip

Phillip
    You're most likely familiar with my FE configuration.
    I've been running the 100 series clutch(disk #260161) for over 27000 miles. The first clutch disk was replaced while I was resolving a hydraulic T/O bearing problem at about 11000 miles. The clutch disk was replaced because I had the tranny pulled out and not because it was necessarilly worn at that time. I asked McLeod if I should have upgraded because of the near future Supercharger installation and was told to run the 100 series assembly until it died as it was a fairly rugged item. I am currently reworking the T/O bearing hydraulics again as the fix 16000 miles ago did not resolve my leak issue. I have just replaced the disk with the same 100 series unit as I am getting very good results on the street at basically a bargain price. The main reason for disk only replacement is that the leakage in both cases had soaked the disks with brake fluid on the back side. Even coated they clamped tight and exibited no percievable slippage. I can light the tires at will with little provation at virtually any speed. I really don't abuse my car, roasting tires like the tuner-boys, but I also am not opposed to a bit of high-horsepower fun from time to time.

I guess it just depends how much time you're going to spend cruising and how much time you're going to spend with both feet on the accelerator.

- Geary
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aggressor; September 3rd, 2012 at 02:55 AM.

The 500 series should work just fine for you. Depending on the pressure plate, the horsepower rating will go up a little more. Are you running a diaphragm or Long style plate?

The 600 disc could certainly pose more chatter issues when it saw some heat, but even with the RAM Powergrip HD's in Cobras, I never see chatter.

When I spec a clutch for a customer, I usually aim for the engine's horsepower + 10%. However, there are some variables that can sway that: the car's weight, the rearend gear ratio, etc, etc.

Thx guys for the information. I am running a long style pressure plate. I also contacted Mcleod and they recommended the 500 series based on the car spends about 98% of time on the street and 1 track day per year. I recently tune the motor and it is running great.

I poled for a second opinion because there is only about $50 difference between a 500 series and 600 series disk. At this time I am leaning towards a 500 series disk.

Thx
    Phillip

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

Hey Phillip, you may want to give Brent at B2Motorsports a call... he might be able to save you some green. On top of that, he is very knowlegeable on this stuff. Not only is he a true enthusiast, but he understands the nitty-gritty details, being that he is a mechanical engineer. That gives him a unique perspective... no pun intended! He is a straight shooter, as well. He always gets high marks from his customers. Just a thought...

I think his number is 502.759.1431

He built the motor for Mark Kassab's yellow 427 that was in Kit Car Builder magazine, here:

http://www.b2motorsportsllc.com/arti...7SBF_aug11.pdf
    Last edited by Slither; September 5th, 2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added link
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

And.... Brent built my BOSS 529 and rebuild my 68 Vette 427, Muncie trans and rearend.

Brent is the "go to" guy. He's building a BOSS 302 "clone" eng next for me.... I just picked up a 69 Mustang fastback I'll do a restomod on after the Vette is complete.

Mark
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Thanks guys. I plan to give Brent a call Friday.

Phillip