Thread: Wilwood/McLeod Question

Wilwood/McLeod Question

I seem to be having a problem bleeding a fresh wilwood master cylinder and newly rebuilt McLeod hydraulic throw out bearing. I even tried running the bleeder line upwards toward the master cylinder with clear hose running up and into the cylinder reservoir. The hose end is below fluid level so no air can retract into the line. I did not bench bleed the master cylinder as I have never seen it necessary before.
    The pedal seems full as before until starting off in first. While having nice pedal pressure the car starts moving with the clutch pedal just off the floor. The confusing part is that with the engine turned off the clutch will release with little pedal travel and my car will roll freely down a slight incline. It just seems as if the clutch is not fully disengaging with engine running(Doesn't make sense). Starting off in first is no problem but first seems a bit reluctant to release. Shifting to second at over 1500 rpm will not occur and yields a serious grind from the toploader. Third and fouth gear engagement is slightly reluctant but no grind occurs.

Any thoughs will be appreciated.

-Geary

i have /had a similar problem with mine, i had the same problem with 1st gear and getting it into reverse without grinding, with less trouble when the t/o and fuid are cold.
    the initial setup distance from the face of the bearing to the clutch may be too big. you may need to adjust that measurement. i wound up adjusting the t/o and no longer have the problem with 1st gear. still grinds into reverse but i live with that, trying to avoid situation where i need to reverse much

Scott - The piston length is correct at .125" clearance.
    Geary

Problem is identified in the transmission and not the T/O bearing hydraulics. The 2nd gear blocker ring was seized onto the gear. I made the mistake of not applying EOS or Gear Lube before trial shifting on the bench during rebuild.

Thanks for the input Scott.

_Geary