Thread: Spark Plug Mods

Spark Plug Mods

Here's something I ran accross on the web.

With the forum traffic being really slow this may spark a few few thoughts. Pehaps a little discussion.

Attached are two images for review.

- Geary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spark%20Plug%20Fuel-HP%20Mod%201.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	237.3 KB 
ID:	2951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spark%20Plug%20Fuel-HP%20Mod%202.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	2952  

That is a good mod.I've read about this before but have never gotten around to doing it.

Indexing the plugs at the same time would also help.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

It's my understanding that indexing the plug to pointing the open portion of the plug towards the intake valve so the spark is open to the chamber.

It's been my understanding that the indexed plug should point to the center of the quench area. This would be near the inside edge of the intake valve on a Ford chamber.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Patrick - You seem to think this is worth doing. I guess trial and error will determine if the efforts will yield positive results. Perhaps some of our engineering brothers could enlighten us.

-Geary

Geary, back in the early sixties, I met a couple guys that were starting to make a mark in drag racing. One could flat shift like no tomorrow, and the other squeezed HP from the engine. They were Dave Strickler and Bill Jenkins. Around that time I remember watching Jenkins indexing the plugs in their A.R. Smith Chevy in the pits at York US30 dragway. We talked about how much advantage it made...... he admitted that maybe a one or two percent increase, but together with other tweaks he was making to the motor, the tiny increases of each added up to something that made a difference in ET's. The guy was a genus, as we know now from his years of racing. He shared a lot of his knowledge with me that I used on my G gas 6 cylinder 55 chevy. You had to listen closely too, as he wouldn't repeat much if you missed something. No wonder he picked up the nickname Grump. I have to admit though, I wasn't as anal as him. :-)
    Oh, the way he showed me how to index the plugs..... position the ground electrode 180 degrees from the point between the two valves. Reach and heat range are other areas to explore, but you have to master how to "read" a plug to know which direction to go. Today, I just throw a set in right out of the box. I just need the thing to fire and not miss.....and get me down the road.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

In my BOSS 529 engine, Jon Kaase recommended Autolite Racing plugs, #AR3934, that come this way. Although the ground is to the edge... see atttached photo. So, for all interested, don't go through all the work, just buy the Autolite Racing plug appropriate for your engine.

Mark

PS: sorry, hard to focus... but you can still make out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0229[1].jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	2954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0230[1].jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	2955  
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.