Thread: Winter Projects

Winter Projects

The forum is a bit slow these days. Anyone have Winter upgrades or other projects planned. Something new perhaps to show off at CobraFest in May. My car is now very close to 12 years old and with 30,000 on the ticker it is in need of some repairs, some modifications, a lot of paint touchups, detailing, etc.

Things to Do:
    -Replace one cooling fan motor. It gave up the ghost last Summer and has gone on to a better place.
    -Move the cooling fan motors apart by 1 inch to accomodate 11" fans.
    -Redo the hood. A few small cracks developed in the surface so it needs touchup and paint.
    -Rebush the door hinges. The doors droop a bit and are a source of rattles.
    -Install a Quicktime safety bellhousing as replacement for the Lakewood.
    -Have the soft top modified to closer match the original type. This includes adding top material to cover the front of the bows up to and wrapping around the front leading edge.(Under the side latches) Also splitting the fabric that secures the top to the top frame and installing snaps to reduce top installation time and effort.
    -Reinforce the hood mounting. Aggressor really shakes the hood side to side when you mash the loud pedal and this should help restrict this motion. I'm also concerned that the mount will fail. I've replaced one front mount to date.
    -Install tubular braces as an original CSX from the transmission tunnel to behind the dash.
    -Install twin Girling PowerStop remote brake vacuum boosters as per CSX3015.

Other 2013 Projects:

1968 Mustang, 1986 TransAm, 1972 Triumph GT6 MKIII
    The GT6 is running fine and carries current PA inspection. The Mustang needs tires, paint and full rear quarters. The TransAm needs tires, paint, carpet, interior trim and upholstery.

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; December 13th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.

Triumph

Always been a fan of Triumph motorbikes and cars. Post a pic of the GT6.

Diego - Here's a couple of the few digital images that I have of my GT6. I have tons of photos but few digital. I have to take some current shots as the car no longer is sporting a Rick Cline air dam up front. Also one mustang image.

-Geary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tr8.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	2956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tr7.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	2957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MUSTANG1.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	2958  
    Last edited by Aggressor; December 13th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.

I have a friends Subaru WRX in my shop. After two spun rod bearings, it's getting a complete rebuild. I'm installing Manley forged pistons and rods, a stroker crank, and a lot of other upgrades. This thing should be running close to 320HP when I'm done. You gotta love the big turbos.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Like both cars! As I always say, a man with a red convertable gets the most hugs. Never hurts if it is a red mustang convertable. Bet that one has never seen a winter day. What is the drive train in the Mustang. How long have you had it?

rw

Wareagle
    Hold your bet on this one. The 68 Stang was in show condition 2001. It was used for 4 years as daily driver carpooling with my wife to to our jobs in Harrisburg PA. About 30 mile round trip. 4 Pennsylvania winters are brutal on a car like that. Thats why she needs full rear quarters now.
    We found that good neighbors will all/but physically abuse you when they see you driving past in 29 degree weather in sleeting/snow conditions. They will verbally assault you for being out of your freakin mind and theaten to have you committed as mental unstable.
    She's a 1968 with 289 4bbl and a C4 tranny. We bought it Spring 2001. I Shelbyized the front with upper control arms relocated lower for faster camber change.

I like Leno's attitude towards his cars. "Ya take a $100,000 car and drive it until
    it's a $70,000 car ... then you make it a $100,000 car again.

Aggressor is now approaching 12 years old with 30,000 miles. As 2012 Homecoming participants attest to she's starting to show her age and has the patina of an older sports car.

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; December 14th, 2012 at 03:03 PM.

Patrick - I currently have a 2006 Lancer Evo in my shop for some routine servicing. This car is interesting as it feels kinda anemic until the turbo spools up in 2nd gear. Then it goes over to being Mr. Hyde.

-Geary

I'm doing the brakes of my motorhome, does that count? All new discs, new calipers, flex lines, bearings, etc. Damn this stuff is heavy conpared to cars. Had to borrow a friend's torque wrench that can go to 600 ft/lbs.

600 pound torque wrench? Whoa I feel like a wuss for complaining about installing ball joints in the Trans Am.

I tip my hat to your efforts and your winter project counts.

- Geary
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aggressor; December 14th, 2012 at 07:21 PM.

Sure does make a brake job on a car seem easy by comparison. To get the rear rotors off, you have to first pull the axels which involves slamming a 6 lb hammer into their ends to shock the cones loose that keep the hub studs from working, then with these removed you can pull the axels. Then a 2 7/8 eight point socket (yes, 8 point) to remove the nuts holding the bearings on the stub. The hub assembly is about 100 lbs, maybe a bit more. To remove the rotor from this, a one inch drive impact wrench is best but with a bit of heat we got a 3/4 to work by cranking it up to 150 psi. Then press the old bearings and seals out and reverse the process for assembly. No magic, just a lot of hard cranking. The fronts are a bit easier since there is no axel to pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
    600 pound torque wrench? Whoa I feel like a wuss for complaining about installing ball joints in the Trans Am.

I tip my hat to your efforts and your winter project counts.

- Geary
    I think you realize this but the wrench doesn't weigh 600 lbs, it's more like 40 lbs and is about 5 ft long when assembled. Max torque setting is 600 lb/ft though we only had to set it at 550. I have no idea what it cost my buddy as Snap-on tools are not cheap.

Talking

I'm with you on the torque wrench concept. I just got this weird image from your 600 ft/lb reference of a steroid laced body builder generating that twisting force with a relatively short wrench.

- Geary

torque

Torque multipliers are great, make those jobs easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
    I'm with you on the torque wrench concept. I just got this weird image from your 600 ft/lb reference of a steroid laced body builder generating that twisting force with a relatively short wrench.

- Geary
    Only met one guy who tipped the scales at over 600 lbs. He was 6' 8" and was a retired NFL offensive tackle. Unfortunately this is what usually happens to those guys when they are no longer playing.