Thread: Modern LS or Coyote motor in a Unique

Modern LS or Coyote motor in a Unique

I was just wondering if anyone has put a modern LS or Ford Coyote motor in a Unique. What got me thinking about this is the price of fuel injection vs a modern motor. A good FI setup is $3500 to $7000 depending on if you do a single throttle body or the stacks. For $7K you can buy a ready to run crate engine from GM Performance or a 5.0 Coyote from Ford.
    I'm not to likely to make this change, I'm just wondering if it can be done.

Justin

Ls

Be warned that you will most likely be flogged for mentioning GM engine in the Cobra. I regret to this day using the FE that was built by someone who knows FEs.

I was told by some Ford friends that the modular engines were rather wide for the Cobra. The LS isn't and is somewhat smaller.

Hind sight is 20/20. I have someone interested in my car and if I do sell it I will build another with the GM plant and screw what anyone else thinks. It's your car do whats best for you.

My 2 cents.

Coyote engine would be cool. LS is groovy also but not a choice that I would entertain.

Geary

Although I cringe when I see a GM mill in a Cobra or any Ford bodied car, I still stand by the adage that it's your car, so do it your way. That said, if I was starting a new replica build and considering a GM mill, I'd go for a body of a Cheetah or Corvette Grand Sport. I'm no purist, but I think building a replica should resemble what the "real" ones looked like.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Cobras aside, I do like the LS package above the Coyote. I still wouldn't put one in a Cobra.

One of the bigger obstacles for either package will probably be the electronic gas peddle.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

I don't think I would do this right now, but I would be really interested to know if one of these would fit in case I ever wanted to make a major change.

Weaver(s) would one of these fit?

Justin

Who know's, you would be the first installing one in a Unique.

Ls

You DON'T have to use an electric throttle. You can use a cable or sim. fashion. Lots of people have gotten away from the electric throttles. If you decide to run a dizzy, that installs with a front end kit using a, Yep I'm saying it, A Ford 302 dizzy you can use a intake with any FI on top you want.

Or use the factory electric stuff.

Fly by Wire

I think the next one I build will be Fly By Wire Tech from a F-35 Lightning.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear