Thread: Check you fuel filler hose

Check you fuel filler hose

I had a scary experience pumping gas into the car. After pumping my usual 3 gallons into the car and placing the fuel nozzle back into the pump cradle, I noticed gas running out of the bottom of the car in two driver's side locations, one underneath the rear axle and the other at the rear most corner of the trunk. My initial thought was the fuel pump hose fitting had lossened from the tank. Since I couldn't get under the car at the filling station, I had planned to remove the tank and check the fuel pump fitting. When looking to see what tools would be needed to remove the tank, I noticed the filler hose had become disconnected from the tank. After removing the carpeted side panel for better access to the filler hose, I noticed the hose was fully connected to the filler but not even touching the tank filler neck. I had been pumping gas into the trunk, not the tank. Apparently, over time (15 years since my kit was built), the hose shrunk. I have since purchased a new, longer, black rubber hose from Unique. I first tried a generic black rubber fuel filler hose from a local parts store, but it kinked when bent as it didn't have the wire support inside as the one I obtained from Unique.
    If any of you have an older, clear hose with the spiral wire support inside, I'd recommend you replace it with the newer black hose from Unique before your clear one shrinks.

battery

You can consider yourself lucky. Most of these cars I've seen have the battery in the trunk. Not a good place to have fuel fumes.

Agree. My battery is in the trunk. The good Lord was looking out for me.

Same thing

Should have posted but I had the same thing happen. When I bought my Cobra from Unique in 2005 it came with a brown, plastic connector that must have shrunk over time and pulled away from the filler cap. Was filling up when a someone next to me said "Hey - you are splashing on the ground" - pushed the Cobra away from spot and let dry. Had Weavers ship me the better rubber one.

Everyone should check but replace regardless......was scary - my friend that was driving with me for the first time was not impressed with my build quality,

Dave

Checked my car and it's got a metal pipe that is formed to fit between the filler and tank with a rubber connector hose at each end. I assume this was how the car was built back in 1989 but only the boss here can verify that.

Alan?

My car still has the original filler components after 12 years. A few years back I came across comments for sealing the fuel filler hose. I think it was either Brent or Eliminator that suggested installing the filler hose with aviation type sealant and clamps. I did have the hose to tank connection come loose once prior to sealing. The aviation sealer seems to work.

- Geary

I am in error - It was pgermond that made the comment.

I humbly apologise to you Phil.

- Geary

There was nothing to seal on mine. It literally shrunk a couple of inches. When secured to the tank with a hose clamp, it was a good half inch from even touching the filler end.

So Alan, were there some significant changes in the design of this piece? Mine is made from three pieces, a steel tube that is bent to fit and two short hose pieces to connect each end of the tube along with the appropriate clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
    I am in error - It was pgermond that made the comment.

I humbly apologise to you Phil.

- Geary

I had the same experience with my filler hose a couple years back. I was filling up and some guy said, "Hey, I think you have a leak." On inspection I discovered I had an "air gap" of about an inch between the filler neck and the hose to the tank. It was a bitch getting it out, and I replaced it with the black reinforced filler hose from NAPA (that hose is expensive!)
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)