Thread: It started as a small project the got "BIG"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

#4 Torque Hone the Block

For me to do this project right I decided to have the Block Torque Honed and turn the engine building over to Brent at B2 Motorsports. The block cleaned up at .003 on number 5 hole and all holes were honed to .003 over. Since this is now going to be a rebuild the block has been squared and decked .005, also has been line honed (mains) I ordered ARP Main bolts to replace the stock Ford main bolts. These have to be used when you line hone the mains, whatever fastener is going on the mains has to be the ones torqued when the line honing is preformed. New ARP head bolts will be used in favor of the original Ford bolts. The pistons will be Diamond Forged Custom Pistons .003 over, changing the cam to one Brent specified, a bullet Custom grind Solid lifter flat tappet cam. Will be using Competition Cam lifters, and custom Trend Pushrods, new Rollermatic Billet timing sprockets for the cam and crank. In checking the cc's of my Edelbrock Heads they were found to be 79 cc instead of the advertised 76cc heads. We are shooting for 10.25 - 10.50 to 1 compression ratio. Will be using the existing Blue Thunder dual plane single 4 intake and the MSD Pro Billet Distributor. So now it's clean all parts up, strip and repaint the bell housing and backing plate. Powder coat some parts and get ready to re-assemble the motor. Brent will break in the cam on the Dyno at his shop and then adjust and tune before he does a Dyno pull to see what we've got. Now it's waiting for the custom Pistons and Cam, once the pistons arrive the Rotating Assembly will have to be re-balanced, with the lighter pistons the crank counterweights will most likely have to be lightened. Shively Speed Machine in Louisville, KY is doing the machine work and balancing. Will check back in 2-3 weeks.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

rick, if youre going that far im surprised your not going roller cam. how come? later, brian.

The Hyd. Roller Cam was proposed, but I don't think I would like it in this engine. They are expensive, about $600.00 higher than the new solid lifter parts. I guess I just like adjusting things!!!
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

with what youre doing im sure youre way past what you wanted to spend already. who did your motor originally? later , brian.

Wow Rick that is some re-do! Thanks for the details it is really interesting to hear what you are doing. Also after you get some miles on it it would be good to get you take on how it feels.
    God Bless