Thread: What's Everybody Doing for 15" Tires These Days?

What's Everybody Doing for 15" Tires These Days?

So even though they aren't that great of a tire, still look new and only have 14K miles on them, my GoodYear Eagle GT II's are 17 years old and should be replaced. I refuse to run anything but a 15" wheel, so it looks like my options are limited for a DOT street tire (I won't run the Billboards). Here's what I am finding out there:

Avons
    BFG Radial T/A
    Cooper Cobras
    M/T drag radials
    Nitto drag radials

Anybody else using anything different or have any suggestions for other brands?

It's so disappointing that no company has created vintage-sized tires with modern compounds.
    Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

I have a set of Yoko's that should last several more years, but I understand your frustration. I've read that a lot of guys are using Avon$, but they are expensive. Others succumb and run BFG's. Don't know much about the others.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    470/hp FE by FE Specialties
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

BFG's work ok for me. Look ok, balance good, and they perform ok for the street driving that I do. I agree, there's not much to choose from. Gary D.

We have been using Mickey Thompson Sportsman ST for about 5 years and have had zero problems, they balance out good and should be available in your size. Summit carries them in case you don't have a local dealer.

My BFG's have always served me well. Look good and are economical to use. I just ran a 2000 mile tour on my BFG T/A's in May.(Homecoming). Harrisburg PA to Gadsden,Huntsville, Decatur, and then back to Pa. I may consider Avon CRZ66's when I replace the current set. I bought Avon F70/15 CRZ66 tires for my 68 Mustang project and really like them. The only thing that I have reservation about is that they are really soft and may not last very long on the highways of America.

- Geary

10/12/17
    I just bought a pair of Hankook Ventus H101 295/50/15 for the rear for $121.97 each and a pair of Cooper All-Season 255/60/15 for $111.97 each from Amazon. I have Amazon Prime so they were shipped for free.

I'm not thrilled about having to mix and match brands, so I'm thinking about sanding down the lettering and spraying on Goodyear or Firestone billboard logos.

I run Cooper Cobras. IMHO, They are a far superior tire to the BFG T/A's they replaced. Better grip, better ride, and better value

also important to note- The Mickey Thompson Sportsman ST is just a re-badged Cooper Cobra- made in the same factory, same carcass, same compound. They just have a slightly different tread block pattern, and say "Mickey Thompson" on the side (which must be the reason they are $25 more per tire, haha)

One other factor to consider with Avons is that besides the horrible treadwear rating (and the cost), they pick up and throw every rock they touch on the road- expect the road-chip inventory on your sidepipes and rear fenders to skyrocket if you drive Avons on the street.

If you really want a vintage tire, take a look at the Goodyear polyglas tires from Kelsey Tires that Factory Five used on their 289 replica prototype. They used L60-15 rears, and F60-15 fronts:

http://www.kelseytire.com/pages/preformancetires2.html
    Last edited by moore_rb; October 19th, 2017 at 08:15 PM.

So what did you end up with?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian427 View Post
    So what did you end up with?
    Sorry it took me so long to see this and respond. For some reason, I don't get email notifications anymore. I guess I need to check my settings.

Anyway, I actually haven't bought anything yet, which is because I am contemplating getting rid of my current Compomotive GT40 style wheels in favor of the correct Vintage Wheels FIA style, and when I do that I will likely go with the Avons.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

FIA wheels look great on the 289 car! I have the Trigo version FIA wheels, from Lynn Park.

Russ, check with Alan about using the knock-off adapters, as I think the rear end has to be narrower to use them. If so, you might be able to fix that if different offsets are available, but you might not get the correct look... or Unique could fix you up with narrowed axles and lower control arms... maybe even shorten the ones you have.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Quote Originally Posted by Slither View Post
    FIA wheels look great on the 289 car! I have the Trigo version FIA wheels, from Lynn Park.

Russ, check with Alan about using the knock-off adapters, as I think the rear end has to be narrower to use them. If so, you might be able to fix that if different offsets are available, but you might not get the correct look... or Unique could fix you up with narrowed axles and lower control arms... maybe even shorten the ones you have.
    Thanks for the advice! Will research it all before making such a big purchase.

Were you able to swap to the FIA wheels, Russ? What tires did you use?
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Quote Originally Posted by Slither View Post
    Were you able to swap to the FIA wheels, Russ? What tires did you use?
    Nah, I haven’t done anything yet. My plan is still to go with the Avon’s, which I hope to buy this month, but the wheels will have to wait. We had to put in a new septic system this year, and that $hit is expensive - pun intended.

I recently bought Cooper Cobra tires. Maurice says they are the same as Mickey Thompson tires.

Quote Originally Posted by wlewis View Post
    I recently bought Cooper Cobra tires. Maurice says they are the same as Mickey Thompson tires.
    I'm very happy with the 255-15 Coopers I have up front. They grip the road very well.

Hawaiian 427, do you have any problems with your 255's rubbing fenders or frame?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4640.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	240.4 KB 
ID:	4235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_4540.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	4236 Not a bit, and I run the car on the fairly low side. But they are very cozy in there!
    Last edited by Hawaiian427; August 21st, 2018 at 02:59 AM.

What size tire do you run on the rear?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian427 View Post
    10/12/17
    I just bought a pair of Hankook Ventus H101 295/50/15 for the rear for $121.97 each and a pair of Cooper All-Season 255/60/15 for $111.97 each from Amazon. I have Amazon Prime so they were shipped for free.

I'm not thrilled about having to mix and match brands, so I'm thinking about sanding down the lettering and spraying on Goodyear or Firestone billboard logos.
    How do you like the (in a low voice) "Hankook Tires: Be one with the road" on the rear? Interesting that you did not mention them in comparison to the Coopers...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear