Thread: Amp Meter +

Question Amp Meter +

Are there any electrical geniuses in the house?

I my amp meter is showing a slight + charge all the time. It didn't use to, so naturally I'm wondering why. Yesterday I pulled the alternator and had it tested. It passed all tests. I had a spare Transpo voltage regulator and replaced the original. Those two things seem to make a "slight" difference, put it still is indicating a very slightly positive charge.

Any ideas, thoughts or concerns?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    470/hp FE by FE Specialties
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

In a nut shell Phil, that battery is in there to just start the engine....the alternator is there to keep the battery up, and of course run all the electrics in the car. I don’t think there is anything to worry about....unless the meter swings toward the minus side, ... Which it might if the engine is idling with all your electrical stuff on....like your 1000 watt stereo speaker amplifier.......personally I like a volt meter instead of the amp meter....now, a battery that is showing its age might cause the symptom your seeing.....how old is it?
    Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

Hey Jim,

Thanks. The battery is somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-years old. I got 9+ years out of my last Optima. I maybe worrying about nothing, I just don't want to fry the battery or MSD. I would really be pissed if it burned up my 1000w stereo .

Thanks again for the reply.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    470/hp FE by FE Specialties
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    1000W!!! Think of all the horsepower you are wasting on the tunes, Phil ...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear