Thread: Time for a change

Time for a change

I finally got fed up with my Southern Automotive 406, which turned out to be a 396. After breaking valve springs that weren't correct and numerous other issues it was time for a serious make-over. The valves were floating so bad at 5,300/rpm it was embarrassing.

New forged pistons, bored to 4.090, new Crower cam, new crank (the old one had two journals that were cracked), new Melling High-Volume oil pump, rehabbed the Holley 750 carb, ported and polished the aluminum heads, matched headers to exhaust ports, new McLeod flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, bearings, timing chain, etc, and a new MSD box. On paper it is rated @ 470/hp.

It is a completely different car now. I am very pleased with the results - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIUo...re=em-comments
    Last edited by pgermond; February 12th, 2018 at 09:53 AM.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    470/hp FE by FE Specialties
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Sweeeet..nice idle.
    What was the build date of you old motor? My only issue with my 2007 motor from SA was rocker arms. Had two go bad before replacing the them with a set from Sig Erson. And had a hydro lock on # five cylinder when the fel pro "print a leak" gasket blew out. All within two years.
    Jim Harding
    La Plata, Maryland

Jim,

It was built in 2003. When I removed the intake to replaced the valve spring that broke I found a bolt laying in the valley!!! Not good, nor did it give me much confidence in the integrity of the entire motor.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436

Roseville (N.Cal)

That is one mean sounding idle, Phil! Congrats on the fresh powerplant.
    Tropical Buzz

Nice build, Phil. What is the lift and duration on the cam? Thanks, Gary

Thanks, Gary.

Lift 0.550 int/0.557 exh
    Duration 290 int/302 exh

Crower Hi-Draulic Hauler Performance Level 5 camshafts are designed for fully prepared, high-compression, all-out racing engines and chassis. They have a rough to extremely rough idle and brutal upper bottom and mid-range horsepower and torque....... just what I was hoping for!!!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436

Roseville (N.Cal)

427 Stroker, x2 4's

Bill Parham and the crew built mine in 2004, still going strong. This engine never missed a beat, when the other cars at the track were overheating or would not start, she just snapped on and ran all day long. I've only got 6-7 thousand miles on her, but that's because we're up here in the cold North woods. I cannot wait for Springtime to arrive.
    Dave Betts and Thunder
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    That's a sswweeeeet sound, Phil. Well done!!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear