Thread: Build update and some questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Build update and some questions

Its been about six months since I've been on the Forum site. Selling a house and moving into a new one (with a partially built Unique at Public Storage for a while) really slowed my build progress. I'm back at it now, and I think it's about 90-95% complete. I'm about ready to fire the motor for the first time. I need to bleed the clutch, put some anti-seize on the header bolts, add fluids and it should be ready. This site has be a tremendous help during my build. The knowledge in the Unique family is truely amazing. I'm definitely a novice builder, but I've tried to work slowly and carefully. I don't think I've made any big mistakes; at least not yet. And both daveg and gerry (unique owners in the Chicago area) have been a great help. Now, I need some help from Forum members on the following questions:
    1. I got some 80w90 gear lube and friction modifier. Reading some Forum threads, I'm a confused because some appear to use the 80w90 in the transmission (mine is a toploader and I've got an SA 351w), and in the transaxle as well. Some use 75w Castrol in the toploader and 85-90w Castrol or Exxon in the transaxle (I can't find these at the NAPA and Advance stores I've been using). I guess everybody has their preferences, but how important is the type of transmission and transaxle lube you use. Can I use the 80w90 in both?
    2. How much coolant do you put in the cooling system (Griffin radiator)?
    3. Given the tight location of the master cylinders, what's the best technique for filling the masters without spilling brake fluid on painted surfaces?
    4. Where can I find weather strip adhesive?
    I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

P.S. Here are some pictures of my progress to date.

DU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra copy.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra copy2.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra copy3.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	819