Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally, lumbar support!

Clay, it looks like you may well have found the perfect insert. The shape looks ideal. I wonder how the Healthy Back Delux ($59.99)would work as compared the the regulal model ($34.99).

Trent, My guess is the Deluxe is probably more material somewhere. My old one is the regular ($34.99), matching the measurements on that website, and it is the perfect shape for the seat bottom. I again sat on it in the car for about half and hour last night, and almost fell asleep....no aches, no pains. Now, I just have to get it inside the seat cover.

Jim, right now, we're planning to come to the party. I'll bring it along.

Don't you think the Weaver's should send me a commission on their new seat design.........?

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

While we're customizing the seats, in case anyone who still drives the car when its cold outside is interested, sportsimportsltd.com has aftermarket seat heaters.

Paul

Paul,
    A seat warm sure would be nice! Makes me warm just thinking about it! The carbon fiber element looks like it would work well for $143.95 http://sportsimportsltd.com/afcarseathea.html

Well....Some years I've driven my Cobra till the snow fly's.
    Normally I drive it until it gets cold enough to bring tears to your
    eyes....and then freeze them to your cheeks.
    So far I've never really felt the need for seat warmers...in fact I do not even have a heater in my 427.....I do not have a top either.
    But I must agree with everyone on the lack of comfort in the standard seats.....some great idea's came out for levels of increased comfort.
    My worst trip on all counts..comfort...heat...and heated seats...was some years back on a drive to Timmins in Northern Ontario.( Yeh..it's a million miles North of the Mason Dixon Line.)....Worst October on record...snow..sleet..freezing rain.
    Umm...maybe I will invest in some seat warmers when I get my car out of storage next year.
    Mike

Mike Geddes

My tempur foam will ship on friday [8D]
    I think I will take the seats apart tonight and get a head start. I will post pics as I go.

My ars will be happy.

Brent

Hey guys: I think I said this in a earlier thread, but you only need to
    change the foam in the rear section of the seat bottom. The seat bottom
    has 2 sections with a seam seperating them. The back section is where all
    your weight is, So just pull the staples in the rear and pull out the foam. Cut and insert new foam / re-staple , and whala. 30 min. job.
    WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

WB.....haven't look closely yet, but I'm assuming I still need to remove rails and entire seat assembly to get to the bottom cushion....right? With a quick look, I didn't see an easy way except to unbolt everything from underneath the car.

Brent, as usual you're getting to a new retrofit, quicker than anyone else!!!!! Please do post the pictures.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

yup- you will have to unbolt the seats from under the car.
    When I reinstalled the seats, I bolted the seat assembly in without
    the seat bottom installed. Then I used several pieces of heavy duty
    velcro on the seat bottom to hold them in place. This makes it much
    easier to install the seats. Now I can pop the suckers out whenever
    I want too. It might not be as safe, but hopefully the 4pt harness
    will keep me in place should something happen.
    WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

I drove to a car show last month, about 1 hr and 15 min drive and I felt like my tail bone had dragged all the way. I thought about getting one of those green knee pads at Brookstone for about 19.00 and just slidding it under the bottom cushion. That Temper foam stuff is made to retain its original shape, but it may compress as much as regular foam?

When I mounted my seat to the sliders I used a hinge to reattach the seat bottom.

Rich

Oldtimer, great idea! I may do that.

WB...thanks for the quick reply and for confirming my suppositions.....

Spd4....The Tempur does not compress as much as regular foam, and it is extremely dense, I suspect your tailbone, will no longer feel the board underneath. However, all this is speculation until one of us get's it right. We may have to experiment with thickness. I, for one, don't want to sit any higher in the car.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

I was curious if Tempur type foam could be cut without leaking so I did a google search. On http://www.selectabed.com/memory_foam_comparison.htm it states, “the foam product is actually wet with petroleum based chemicals…It then cures for a certain amount of time before it is ready to be cut into mattresses or pads”
    So it would appear that they cut it after it has been formed. I know a lot of foams materials are cut with lasers. Not having a laser, I wonder if a heated knife blade would work? I have cut regular foam rubber with an electric carving knife.
    Also on this site it notes
    “If you were to leave this mattress outside your home at night with the temperature dropping below 32 degrees…would be as hard as a brick in the morning”.
    Maybe the seat heater might be a good addition!

[)] Being petroleum based, perhaps rather than a seat heater... you will have a seat igniter [:P][:P]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Tempur is rather hard when cold. From experience with my Tempur mattress and lumbar support, it is like a brick for about the first minute or so, even at 70 degrees. But it reacts very quickly to heat and forms around whatever shape (98.6 degree) weight is placed on it. It's molding ability does not seem to deteriorate over time (at least after 5 years with a Tempur mattress).

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Mike, it might be like setting on a block of ice for you in Canada when you go for one of your topless chillin drives!

Well I installed the $59 Heathy Back insert for a seat cushion bottom. It was easy and it feels very comfortable. Granted, I have only sat in the car in the garage and have not gone for a long drive. Its freezing out and sleeting right now. When I first sat in the updated seat, it was a bit hard at first and I sat up about an inch higher in the seat. However, after a few minutes I sank into the seat to normal height as it took on the shape of my butt.
    To update the seat cushion, I removed all of staples on the bottom of the cushion except the front edge. Then peeled back the seat cover to reveal the rear foam cushon and used a putty knife to removed the glued on foam. No wonder your butt get sore - that thin, low density foam aint much!
    I unzipped and discarded the cover that came with the new cushion. The new cushion is slightly larger than the original cushion but the Tempur is somewhat temporarely moldable like putty. I compressed the leed edge of the cushion and the back corners of the Tempur. Then quickly reinstalled the seat cover.
    So, after the seat rail update, the raking seat angle, the bubble wrap lumbar support and now the seat bottom, the seat feels goood!
    I would say though, for taller drivers, you may want to for go the seat rails because it will raise the seat height an inch. I would still recomend raking the seat angle with a spacer under the front edge of the seat, the bubble wrap lumbar support and the Tempur seat bottom.

Trent,

I'm very glad it worked out for you. I was very confident that it would. I hope to get to mine this weekend.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

For anyone wondering, Tempur cuts very easily with no ill-effects. I just used a sharp pair of regular household scissors. It's so dense, it actually cuts straighter than standard foam.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

I installed the Tempur cushion this weekend, but I tried it 2 ways. First I pulled the leather off (same as Okie S. described above), removed the old foam and put the Tempur in (bout a 15 min. job). Stapled it back and sat on it for a half hour or so. It is a vast improvement, but it still compressed almost to the plywood board.

So, I pealed it back again, put the old foam back in with the Tempur lumbar cushion on top of the old foam and repeated the process.....VOILA!!!! "butt nirvana!!!!

You end up with a bit of an overstuffed look, but after it compresses for a minute, I don't think I'm sitting significantly higher up.

Recommend experimenting yourself.

Clay

Annapolis, MD