Thread: future owner

future owner

i am very close to purchasing my first cobra. i have settled on unique but am still debating between buying from the factory or buying "used ". any feedback out there? also, does anyone live near san luis obispo so i could check out your cobra

Scott if you are handy with tools, love to build things, and have the desire go for it! It is the best! We have a great group of guys on this site that can give you lots of information and help. Surf the threads and draw your own conclusions. But, if you want to drive more than build buy a Unique which is cool as many of the guys brought rather than built. Anyway you do it you will love it. I researched before I brought as well...good job!

Ralph

ralph, thanks for the feedback i like the idea of building my own but like a kid at christmas i dont know if i can be that patient

San Luis Obispo is one of my favorite spots! Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a Unique there, but you could take a trek up to Sacto. Phil Germond (pgermond) recently built a very nice one, and is a very knowledgeable resource. Phil Souza (souzape) also is around there somewhere. They both frequent here, and you can e-mail them by doing a search on their names.

Good luck Scott, and welcome to the family!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Scott,

That's my sons name. He went to Cal Poly - SLO. Your not my son are you? Trying to trick your good 'ol dad [?]

Happy to hear you went Unique. Ralph's comments are right on regarding building your own. Either way, you are going to wind up working on it, unless you have a boat-load of money to pay someone else to do it. Unique (the Weaver's) are an awesome group to work with and will help you every step of the way, if need be. And you always have the great guys on this forum who are more than happy to add their $0.02 worth. Phil Souza is in the Ridgecrest area and I'm up out of Sacramento. Phil S.- 289 <> Phil G. (me) - 427. I'd be more than happy to have you take a look, or just talk on the phone, or share photos and tips over the Internet. I'm pretty confident Phil S. will do the same.

The one thing you want to make sure of is that you have a clear understanding of the DMV registration. I went through the SB100 process this year and it was pretty painless. I do know guys who have bought used only to find out that the car was NOT properly registered and now they have cars they can't drive until they get it straightened out, which is costly and a real pain in the a$$.

Catch me here or e-mail me direct at philgermond@yahoo.com

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Welcome Scott, You are going to love the entire experience. Now, we do need to hook you up with an avatar befitting your personality.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

F[:O][:O]RD's [8D] That kid of mine would love that.... that's for sure!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Scott, have your cake and eat it to! Have Unique arrange for the painting. A very reasonable price if I recall. Have your engine, tranny, wheels and tire shipped to Unique and when you get the car you will have little to do. Addresses the patience issue and you still get the new car you want.

Rick

Scott- on the last weekend in Oct there will be a Cobra owners function at Willow Springs (Rosamond/Lancaster/Palmdale area) that I always attend along with lots of other Cobra owners. It would be worthwhile for you to come over and take a look at many of the different options. I'm sure you will find the Uniques at the top of the heap. Feel free to call me if you have any specific questions or if you would like to meet before that to look at my car. I might be willing to meet you half way around Bakersfield or maybe even Paso Robles since my wife and I have discussed making a run up the Coast Highway from Cambria to Monterey this year.

Phil G- you might want to come down for the Cobra owners club function in Oct or the Vintage Auto Racing Association BIG BORE BASH in November...Fall is pretty nice here on the desert and you can tour the track with Sandi at the VARA function for no cost.

PHIL SOUZA
    Ridgecrest, CA
    psouza6@mchsi.com
    760 375-3024 (evenings)

Phil S,

Sounds like fun. Can you provide some additional detail?

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Scott:
    I bought mine used, so I only had to be patient for a few weeks while it was being delivered. I paid a little less for it than the original owner/builder had in it (it's a buyer's market right now for Cobra replica's), and he had already worked out the majority of the "bugs". All I had to do was put gas in it and turn the key. I have put 3000 miles on my car in the last year, and loved every minute of it.

There's a really nice Unique 289FIA over on www.CobraCountry.com right now (which is where I found mine). Here's an image of the car that's for sale. It's about 1/2 way down the "Cobras for Sale" page:

He is asking mid 30's for it, which seems pretty darn good for all that's been put into it. Good luck and have fun!

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

thanks to all for the warm welcome, i'm leaning towards the deluxe pallet. i dont get on the computer so excuse the long response time. how do you set up an avatar? i think i'm computer illigitimate or is that illiterate?

quote:computer illigitimate
    That's a good one!

To post an Avatra you have to upload it in the Avatar area of this site and Patrick will take it from there. If there is something in the Avatar legend that is appealing to you and isn't already taken, just shoot Patrick an e-mail and he will fix you up.

Stop leaning and jump - the deluxe pallet kit is the way to go

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Scott, That is what I went for, the deluxe pallet. I was a little nervous when I got the car. But it is literally one step at a time and you have a computer and about 50 folks out here, regular contributors that can lead you down the path if you should have any problems or questions. Simply an amazing resource. Good luck with your decision. Either way build or buy it is the right one!!

Ralph

Scott,
    Nows the time to buy. They showed their new car for the first time last week and are expecting to be real busy with them shortly. You might get a short delivery date on a Cobra right now.

i think i'm computer illigitimate or is that illiterate?

Scott, that is a good question. It would depend on how your Mom and Dad met. If they met on a website and were not married before they had cyber sex than you are computer illegitimate.

This is a fun group, we hope you go with the DP kit. [:P]

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389