Thread: seatbelts

seatbelts

what kind of seatbelts are you guys using? lap belts or 5-point harnesses, does the car come ready to bolt on the seatbelts or does it require some fabrication? thanks for your feedback on all of my other posts

scott , just about everybody uses 5 point belts. the only issue is with the inboard seat belts. they are the only belts that dont attach thru the chassis. only thru the fiberglass floor. depending on your state`s rules on composite vehicle specs will determine what you have to fabricate to bring it into compliance. in connecticut, it must a steel reinforcing device of not less than 4 sqare inches( large fender washer). some guys fabricate a steel bracket to the driveshaft loop. i have a small steel bracket i fabricated thats bolts to the x member ( i spec`d an X brace into my car when it was built) that sits right underneath the hole in the floorpan. whatever your state requires its really not a big issue. later, brian,

Yep, Brian's right, install the 5-point lap belts, Simpson or comparable. Not a difficult installation, no more than the seats themselves.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Ditto. I have Crow 5-point. Easy to install. The trickiest part is cutting the slots properly (not to big - not to small) in the bulkhead and trimming them out with some nice stainless or chrome plates.

The inboard belts bolt through the metal plate (can't think of what it is called at the moment), but it is very secure and there is a heck of a lot more than just glass holding you in place.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Why do some folks use these? Do they work better or just extra eye candy?

Scott, I have a 5 point harness and uce Simpson. My inboard belts are attached to the drive shaft loop mounting. To do this the mounting was enhanced by steel blocks that I tapped to accept the eyebolts. As for the shoulder harnesses mine go throught the rear bulkhead and connect to the eyebolts in the upperdeck in the trunk also hard mounted. The crotch belt is bolted throught the floorpan. CJ I guess, eye candy.

Ralph

Ralph

cj, from my understanding about mounting shoulder belts, thats not a device i want to use. shoulder belts should always attach at a point below the height of your shoulders. thats setup looks very marginal at best. and if youre short, well you decide. later, brian

Ditto

Ralph

CJ, I think that is for someone that does NOT have shoulder harness yet wants to hit the track. The bolt in and you pass tech inspection. Not safe, but you passed.

Brent