Thread: skid plate

skid plate

I have a SA406 with a canton 8qt oil pan -- the pan is the lowest point on the car after I cut off the bottom portion the the bellhousing lip -- I have 3.5-4 inches of ground clearance to the pan -- has anyone added a skidplate to the bottom of the car to provide protection from rocks/debris when driving? if so pictures would be appreciated -- thanks

Homer,

Sounds like you and I have the same set up, which allows for very little clearance, as you said. I've never seen anything along the lines of a skid plate on a Cobra, or any other street rod for that matter. It seems to me, with a skid plate, you would further reduce clearance causing additional (potential) contact of the pan to speed bumps, curbs, and debris causing that dreaded tooth jarring “chunk” or “clunk”.

I drive my Cobra a whole lot differently than my other vehicles. Very defensively! I have my eyes out constantly for objects on the road and keep my distance from the vehicle in front of me. You never know what you are going to encounter on a freeway when the car in front of you swerves to avoid something in the road (like a 2x4 [xx(]).

Sorry I can't help.... perhaps someone else has come up a solution, but for me it's part of owning one of these fine machines [^].

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Good analysis Phil. The Canton pan (or other high capacity pan) hangs down so low, that I can't imagine anyway to design a skid plate without further reducing clearance, and making oil changes very difficult.

I suppose you could fabricate and attach some steel bars below the pan to protect it a bit, but they'd have to hang down lower, and would make taking the pan off rather complicated.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

I have a skid pad for my FIA. Yes, it does make the clearance lower (0.500" lower). But, maneuvering over speed bumps and sharp curbs is much less scarry. When my wife drives the car she doesn't have to worry as much about clearance concerns. When I feel that hard thump, I know my skid plate only got scratched. I don't have pray there's no oil slick. It's strong enough I can jack the car off the ground on the plate, and I have. Being 10 ga. it adds 75 lbs. to the car, and makes working on the lower parts a little more time consuming. It doesn't seem to reduce air flow, that was my biggest concern.

I don't think there is an easy way to fabricate one. I am a laser cutting machine field engineer, these type of fabrications are part of my work. I wouldn't want to think about what the retail cost of one might be. If I have a picture of the skid pad I'll post it when I get back home.

homer,
    i dont have a skid plate but i did do the next best thing,
    i plated the milidon pan i have with .125 plate. i cut a
    piece to fit the bottom of the pan and bent it with a
    90 degree flange at the front 2 or 3 inches high. i then
    removed the pan and tig welded it to the entire bottom
    and front of the pan.
    how strong is it? i hit a raised manhole where the
    city of columbus had ground the pavement down going maybe
    10-15 mph. all the damage done was a dent in the front of the pan. had i not done this i am convinced i would have ripped
    a huge hole in the pan. hope this helps,
    chris

Homer,
    It's not a full on skid plate, but the Aviaid oil pan that I bought has a skid plate on the bottom. It is a steel plate that is actually clearanced off the bottom of the pan, so if there is any contact, there is not only a double thickness of material, there is room to deflect as well. I know that Canton offers something similar, but I don't know how it is constructed. I'll add some photos later.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car