Thread: Expansion tanks

Expansion tanks

After searching through the forum I wasnt able to find much info on expansion tanks. I did see pictures of period correct tanks but in my case its not a must. I dont like the ones Ive seen on some of the speed shops webpages and wanted to get some input from you guys. Right now the only one that catches my eye is the large one from Canton. Has anyone got one and a picture of how you mounted it? Also I have seen one on a Cobra that is about 6-8" in diameter and about 16-18" long mounted horizontally with the cap on top but cannot find a picture or the product for further investigation. I also saw one for the 460 listed on Finish Line but it will not work with March pulleys which I already have Any ideas?

Unique 4279459

CJ, it sound like you are refering to the remote fill tank. Or do you mean the puke tank? It you are refering to the remote fill tank, check with Southern Automotive, they make a beautiful stainless steel tank. If you want it period correct, just paint it black. The copper tanks are period correct but the soider joints break very easily. I know, it has happened to mine twice.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

The stainless tank can be seen by looking at the pictures of Brent's motor. I just finished putting the same tank on mine.

Steve Foushee
    Unique #4279389

Thanks Steve I'l look at Brent's.

Unique 4279459

CJ, I do not think the FE tank will fit your 385 series.

Brent

Brent
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Yea I found a picture of yours and it looks great but will not work for me. I did some research on the one I saw that I mentioned above that I liked so much and apparently you cannot get one like it due to the company only selling it with their cars. I found a old post at CC and Blykins was looking for the same one with no luck. Heres a picture in case anyone has seem one like it. If not I can always go the Canton route.

Unique 4279459

CJ you may want to talk to Butch Capps 865-524-4800 (w) about the tank he used on the FIA car(fill tank) I have a Canton Puke tank on my car in addition to the normal FE fill tank (as soon as my fill tank springs a leak I'll go stainless with the bleed line to my radiator) Hope all is going well. Ya know the more I look at the picture the less I like the plumbing, if that is what it is, in front of the cross beam.

Ralph

Check out this site.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/tdockstett/page7.html

Maybe we get Okisnake to start looking at this site again.

--Patrick

Hey Ralph do you have a photo of your Canton setup? That looks like its going to be my best bet
    and I would like to see where you mounted it and your hose routing. Thanks for the link Patrick, looks like theres a few ideas there too>

Unique 4279459

Ralph and CJ,

The tank on the FIA cars (like Butch Capps) is the old Harrison tank found on older model Corvettes. It can be seen on the 289 kit pages on Uniques website.

Brent
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

That tank looks good Brent and might be a good option. I was also thinking maybe no tank at all..
    What do you guys think of using a custom thermostat neck with a cap and then mounting a overflow tank on the side? Gessford has a nice custom made one that could be used. I havent seen any 385 guys in this forum but I do know from Alan that Unique has done some. Any recommendations Alan? Heres a pic of Gessfords custom one they make.

Unique 4279459

CJ, I like that idea.

The tanks can go two ways 1 = expensive stainless steel tig welded or Dove aluminum
    2 = original style soldered brass tank that will require constant
    trips to the radiator shop.

The adapter you show will trouble free and serve the purpose.

Polish it of course (-:

Brent
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

I'm thinking the same thing Brent. The 460 adapter keeps the cap way above the radiator like it needs to be to remove trapped air and I can put in a small round stainless overflow and mount it vertically on the firewall out of the way.

Unique 4279459

I found a picture of someone using this setup Brent but he seems to be letting it puke on the ground but I would use a overflow tank instead. It does seem to keep the cap up high.

Unique 4279459

CJ, I like it too I can try to do a picture of this. I have it mounted on the front of the passenger footbox (facing the front of the car) I also have a heater/defroster on the top of the passenger footbox.

Ralph

Thats a nice and clean install Ralph! Thx for the pictures.

Unique 4279459

Thanks CJ did I give you what you needed? I'm not very good with the camera yet. The top picture actually has a reflection of the bottom of the hoses reflected off the valve covers I need practice. I want to by an SLR so I can better see what I am photographing.
    Ralph

Yep Ralph thanks, those were good shots and figured that would be a good place to mount to. BTW your camera seems to be taking great pictures. The SLR's are very nice but pricey. I would also like to have one but for now the camera's I have will have to do because thats just another part I could have bought for the Cobra. LOL

Unique 4279459

So True CJ..

Ralph